Advice on compliance for windows/doors new build

gwebstech

Hi guys

Im building a new house and my building control are also doing the warranty. My BCO has told me he will need a certificate of compliance for the windows and doors. Now whilst im aware of things required, ie trickle vents, U value on glazing, lockable handles etc what i didnt know is that id need a certificate from the manufacturer for all these things inc PAS24 etc

Ive fitted the windows and doors myself, my BCO today said that i should have probably used a FENSA or an approved fitter but my understanding (from the planning portal) is that you can fit them yourself as long as they are certified by someone. I was under the impression that with a new build FENSA isnt needed as the BCO is supposed to sign the windows off, my BCO says this isnt his job and fair enough he needs the certification to show that these windows are up to scratch. 

But the manufacturer doesnt provide PAS24 certification so now i potentially have windows and doors fitted that are not compliant. So my question is: how can i now get these windows and doors shown to be compliant? I am sure that i can pay the council or a building inspector to come and sign them off but then whats the point of having a BCO on my new build  when i have to pay another to come and pass my windows?

Can anyone help or does nayone have experience of this?

thanks

Your are quite correct Certainly for England Our local Authority BC mentioned it to me 

I told him while the  manufacturer -supplier is Fencer registered 

Its a self build and I’m fitting them myself He was fine with that 

Though he did mention the trickle vents 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nod said:

Your are quite correct Certainly for England Our local Authority BC mentioned it to me 

I told him while the  manufacturer -supplier is Fencer registered 

Its a self build and I’m fitting them myself He was fine with that 

Though he did mention the trickle vents 

thanks mate

although my problem now is - how am i going to get these passed as certified?

Edited by gwebstech

I was driving along this morning and heard an add I think Safestyle 

Saying when you sell your property FENSA cert is the first thing your buyers so list or will ask for 

For £50 quid you could find someone online that would certify without coming down 

I built a large extension on our previous and replaced all the windows 

The buyers solicitor was more than happy with BC cert 

Im sure you will be fine 

5 minutes ago, nod said:

I was driving along this morning and heard an add I think Safestyle 

Saying when you sell your property FENSA cert is the first thing your buyers so list or will ask for 

For £50 quid you could find someone online that would certify without coming down 

I built a large extension on our previous and replaced all the windows 

The buyers solicitor was more than happy with BC cert 

Im sure you will be fine 

thing is - with an old house even if you dont have FENSA, when you sell you can pay a few £ for an indemnity policy to cover that. For new builds, its a different thing altogether. Im sure i can pay a BCO to come and certify them, but like i say, why should i when ive paid a BCO to sign this house off

thanks

Building control are  certifying your windows when they issue a completion certificate 

They checked all mine with a light metre Trickle vents also 

and checked they had an airtight seal inside and out prior the plastering and render