DIY-Kitchens - The Alternative View (And its FAR from positive)

Barney12

Another update to my experience a few posts back: Leaving aside the fact these damage/incorrect/missing item problems shouldn't really happen, DIY Kitchens have been really good in sorting out them out and I've never been left feeling I have to fight for a resolution; it's all just been about the nuances and options for each particular case.

The missing items have all been sorted, as have the replacement of the wrongly-sent drawers. I've accepted the unit that I asked to be dry assembled but was sent fully glued and screwed (well, stapled!) and the cracked drawer front has been replaced. The cabinet door with permanent marker was sorted with WD40 and the one with a chip was replaced... but the replacement is also damaged! The pre-cut hinge hole screw holes don't look great:

20200922_213550_Replacement_door_hinge_hole.thumb.jpg.2089e572220e24cee00cfbfbbd645fbe.jpg

Those inserts are apparently Blum's 'knock-in dowels' intended to improve on chipboard screws (alone). I am assuming, however, there must surely be some compromise in strength in the situation above? I've calmly put my concerns forward but am awaiting a response (sometimes it's been instant, sometimes a couple of days - I think they're maxed out). Should I insist on (another!) replacement? Incidentally, this door will be connected to an integrated fridge/freezer door so I don't know if that causes more or less stress on hinges than a 'normal' cupboard would.

For once I'm fairly relaxed about these issues and not in any rush as there's nothing stopping me from cracking on with the general installation (well, there is, but it's nothing to do with DIY Kitchens - just me being slow). It's definitely helped that there's been no resistance to resolution. I'm also really pleased with the quality of the rest of the kitchen. The Blum components - drawers in particular - are absolutely excellent, but of course they're not exclusive to DIY Kitchens.

Incidentally, the replacement items arrived on a one-man delivery van who appeared to be basically driving round the entire South West dropping off and picking up remedial items and, presumably, one-off purchases that they allow from existing customers. As would be expected, all my stuff was right at the back of the van and I must say I felt sorry for the next customer on the round who thought he'd bought a shiny new oven but actually had bought a step/climbing aid for the guy to use to repeatedly clamber over everything. He was also being a bit rough with my stuff, but thankfully the packaging is really good and I ended up hopping onboard myself to give him a hand (actually, just to save my own stuff and that guy's oven!).

Edited by MJNewton