Rebuilding half-brick vertical gap in outer skin

I'm converting our bay windows to doors, so taken out the old bay brickwork down to floor level.

The outer skin of the bay was tied into the house wall with angled cut bricks. As a result I now have a missing section of outer skin about a half-brick wide by 9 courses high.

I need to rebuild this, but am wondering if/how I should tie it in to the existing wall? Ideally I want to minimise the damage to the render/harling on the rest of the wall.

Do I need to cut out some more half bricks to corbell it in properly? Or could I drill some threaded rod into the mortar joints to act like ties?

Have attached a couple of photos, ignore the horrid pvc doors in the background they're just temporary so we don't have to live in a house with a giant hole in the wall...

IMG_20200310_091838.jpg

IMG_20200310_091844.jpg

5 hours ago, Mike said:

That's what I'd do, and have done in the past.

Thanks. On reflection I guess whatever I do that section of pebbledash will need replaced anyway so might as well. At least that's the obvious/"right" way to do it structurally.

We both hate pebbledash and there's only a couple of square metres on the back wall so if the build comes in under budget (ahahahaha!!) I might just strip it all off and get it flat rendered.

You can buy a STITCHING kit it consists of stainless steel rod and epoxy glue, the proper way would be to tooth out every other brick and bond the new ones back in, however no matter how you try you won’t be able to poke the mortar in as well as it was previously 

i would go for a mix of chopping out and drilling and bonding in the rods with the epoxy. 

I would probably use a metal mesh over the join when rendering. 

• Like 1

I've used Helifix in the past for stitching cracks; yours is a slightly different application, but i don't see why you couldn't use it for tying in the repair and tying the two skins together.

Edited by Roundtuit

23 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

I've used Helifix in the past for stitching cracks; yours is a slightly different application, but i don't see why you couldn't use it for tying in the repair and tying the two skins together.

Thanks - I'd not necessarily been going to tie the skins together, there are existing wall ties just inside the cavity so I'd think so long as the new vertical half-brick section is secured to the outer skin it's unlikely to go anywhere?

• Like 1