New Here! Planned Scotland Self-Build

FraserK

My first post here - putting our house on the market today in Hampshire - one step closer to our planned self-build in Scotland!  

Looking at doing a 100m2-bedroom  - having put some tentative feelers out with some suppliers and putting together a rough budget. Will probably look to get the house erected to wind and watertight,  particularly as its unlikely that we'll get the PP and warrant until June / July by the time we complete purchase of plot. 

One question - for those that have had a house erected to wind and watertight, does this include the cost of the foundation slab?  I'm assuming that other groundworks e.g. services, septic tank are excluded.

2 hours ago, FraserK said:

One question - for those that have had a house erected to wind and watertight, does this include the cost of the foundation slab?  I'm assuming that other groundworks e.g. services, septic tank are excluded.

Welcome. Assuming you are talking about a timber frame then yes it just the frame, no foundations unless your contract states that. Services are excluded too. For mine it didn’t even include the roof sarking that is required in Scotland before tiling. 

You really need to clarify absolutely everything when dealing with trades and suppliers. Make no assumptions and if you do validate them quickly. 

Hello and welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in Scotland are you intending to build? There are a few of us on this forum already established within the beautiful Scottish landscapes.

@newhome has beaten me to it but to re-iterate, and I too assume you are going for a Timber Frame? If so, then the cost of getting to after tight stage doesn't normally include the foundations / slab. Yes the utilities and treatment plant are extra as well as the drainage system.

If you are going through a TF supplier, then please ensure you read the package details carefully as there are often hidden extras / or things you would expect to be included, which aren't. Ask the questions / seek advice via this forum as we have all been through that process and have good advice / guidance to offer. Good luck.

Thanks - we're looking at Argyll, but aren't quite ready to buy the plot and then go through planning / warrants etc.

A couple of the TF suppliers are giving an 'erected' price but it's not quite clear what the scope of the works. As the TF supplier is Scottish, I'm hoping the sarking is included!

I'll certainly be back once we're underway with the purchase of the plot and getting all those critical details sorted!

Edited by FraserK
spelling mistake!

43 minutes ago, FraserK said:

A couple of the TF suppliers are giving an 'erected' price but it's not quite clear what the scope of the works. As the TF supplier is Scottish, I'm hoping the sarking is included!

Nope. Both @Redoctober and I used Scottish TF companies (different ones) and neither included it. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome.

If you read a few build blogs on the site, and Jeremy's offsite blog here, you will see that slightly obsessive attention to detail, and good "write it all down" practices, repeatedly saves current and future issues. You really cannot overdo the staff work in advance.

Unfortunately for rapid reading, the most important lessons of all the blogs are also all in the miniscule details so you need to read it thoroughly ?.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand