Outside socket

DOIGAN

One for the Sparkies,

I want an external socket for lawnmower etc. Was planning on spurring of an internal socket but wondered if using the power unit outside for the heating system would be a better idea.

Going to use the following socket.

BG Electrical WP22RCD double socket with switch and RCD fuse, latch function, for outdoor use, weatherproof, 13 A, IP66,

thanks

IMG_20200301_150605.jpg

I would not try connecting a socket to the supply to your heat pump.  My 2 concerns, that circuit is rated for it's load and probably does not have much capacity spare. Secondly it would be physically hard to connect extra cables into that isolator switch.

Have you an accessible socket internally you could spur off of? On say a (lightly loaded) downstairs ring.

You don't need an RCD protected external socket if the ring main itself is already RCD protected. Just a suitably IP rated socket. 

Drill at a slight downward angle through one of the back box knock outs and fit a length of 20mm pvc conduit from there into the back of the external socket. Project into each back box 6-10mm.

You can either spur it or make part of the ring.

20 hours ago, ProDave said:

I would not try connecting a socket to the supply to your heat pump.  My 2 concerns, that circuit is rated for it's load and probably does not have much capacity spare. Secondly it would be physically hard to connect extra cables into that isolator switch.

Cheers, that was a concern I had about the capacity, did not even think about the room inside the isolator.

Thanks

18 hours ago, Onoff said:

Have you an accessible socket internally you could spur off of? On say a (lightly loaded) downstairs ring.

You don't need an RCD protected external socket if the ring main itself is already RCD protected. Just a suitably IP rated socket. 

Drill at a slight downward angle through one of the back box knock outs and fit a length of 20mm pvc conduit from there into the back of the external socket. Project into each back box 6-10mm.

You can either spur it or make part of the ring.

Yep, I can spur off a double socket in the bedroom, it only has a lamp and telephone connected.

Thanks that sounds like a good solution.

25 minutes ago, DOIGAN said:

Yep, I can spur off a double socket in the bedroom, it only has a lamp and telephone connected.

Thanks that sounds like a good solution.

Is that on a downstairs ring then you have a separate kitchen ring?

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Is that on a downstairs ring then you have a separate kitchen ring?

I live in a bungalow, the sockets are on different RCD in the service unit. One for kitchen, one for lounge and one for bedrooms, think this should handle another double socket.

8 minutes ago, DOIGAN said:

I live in a bungalow, the sockets are on different RCD in the service unit. One for kitchen, one for lounge and one for bedrooms, think this should handle another double socket.

Guessing you might mean on different miniature circuit breakers rather than RCDs. 

You could always post a picture of the service unit by which I think you mean consumer unit.

On 03/03/2020 at 20:39, Onoff said:

Guessing you might mean on different miniature circuit breakers rather than RCDs. 

You could always post a picture of the service unit by which I think you mean consumer unit.

Here you go. Showing my ignorance, sorry.

IMG_20200305_203909.jpg

40 minutes ago, DOIGAN said:

Here you go. Showing my ignorance, sorry.

IMG_20200305_203909.jpg

Known as a "split load board".

The red switch is the main double pole switch that switches both incoming live and neutral.

Next to it is the 1st RCD (residual current device) that provides earth leakage protection to the circuits on the 4 circuit breakers (with space to add another future circuit). The circuit breakers provides over current and short circuit protection to each circuit. 

The 2nd RCD protects the last 5 circuit breakers in the same vein as above. 

The circuits are split so that for instance if downstairs lights go off, upstairs lights should remain on. Same with sockets. 

Of course if you have an earth leakage fault on any circuit protected by that particular RCD all those circuits lose power. 

The "best" way is to have all circuits on their own RCBO so a fault on one circuit only affects that.

23 hours ago, Onoff said:

Known as a "split load board".

The red switch is the main double pole switch that switches both incoming live and neutral.

Next to it is the 1st RCD (residual current device) that provides earth leakage protection to the circuits on the 4 circuit breakers (with space to add another future circuit). The circuit breakers provides over current and short circuit protection to each circuit. 

The 2nd RCD protects the last 5 circuit breakers in the same vein as above. 

The circuits are split so that for instance if downstairs lights go off, upstairs lights should remain on. Same with sockets. 

Of course if you have an earth leakage fault on any circuit protected by that particular RCD all those circuits lose power. 

The "best" way is to have all circuits on their own RCBO so a fault on one circuit only affects that.

Cheers for the info.