Electric UFH in bathrooms

Bitpipe

Where do you think a £7k bill came from? They were found fully liable, so yes. I can't recall as it was a few years back, but I think they tried to get off the hook with some small print. The small print didn't affect the rights of the customer so they challenged it, and apparently won. It did go on for a while but afaik it was fully settled and resolved. 

Ring them and ask the question :) 

32 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

But if it dies after laying the tiles, do the cover the cost of replacing those?  

IIRC, the instructions for laying our system included doing a resistance test and earth leakage test on the wires when they were taped down, then repeating this immediately after laying the tiles, when the adhesive was still wet.  If there was any problem, then you pull the tiles up, wash them off and replace the wire (there's no way of repairing it).

As long as you have a multimeter, and ideally an insulation tester (I still have an ancient Megger) then it's easy to check that there is no damage caused when laying, and although it would be a pain if you did find you'd damaged the wire then at least you could re-use the tiles (assuming they weren't laid with rapid set).

TBH, the wire I used was pretty tough stuff, with what seems to be PTFE  insulation, so it would be hard to damage, I think.

Just met with a tiler who will do the backer board, UFH and tanking as part of the tiling job so I think I will extricate myself from that and leave it to the professionals :)

Just need to make a call on the system - leaning to ebay mats and decent thermostats.

• 3 weeks later...

So the UFH mats are in, latexed and the floors and walls tanked and tiled. In the wetroom they followed the Impey recommendation of membrane first with UFH and latex on top of that. As Nick said, the Impey butyl sealant is quite evil stuff - uber tacky.

Quite glad I left all to the tilers as they knocked out the prepping of all 3 floors and two shower areas in one day. I only had to give the walls a second coat of membrane in the evening.

I bought a new digital multimeter and a testing black box from UFHSS for a few quid - the box is neat, it has 3 crocodile clips (earth, live and Netural, although these two are interchangeable). Once you've tested with the multimeter that the mats don't have an earth fault and have the correct resistance (one unrolled and again when rolled out) you connect the box to teh cold tail and switch it on, if there's an earth fault or short it buzzes loudly.

Only tricky part was pulling the thermostat probe and cold tail back through the conduit - forgot to put a drawstring in there so had to pull one through with the hoover, a ball of cotton wool and some thread :)

If anyone is doing similar, I have a few leftover bits and pieces although aside from the Impey system, it was all fairly inexpensive.