Aqualisa Q

Pocster

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Only the minted few! ?

Now I thought you would of knicked one by now!

TBH I've not been looking at digital showers just nice thermostatic ones. The price difference between them and the Q is only about a hundred quid or so...

Edited by pocster

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

Mira digital ones are better tbh 

Fitted an Aqualisa one a few years ago and I think they are a bit noisy with the pumps.  

I’m hoping I can fit the pump in my utility room I.e no where near the actual shower 

I’m a computer programmer so like a bit of tech. However I don’t think I’ll be fitting anything digital to my house whether it’s shower , front door, etc. It just dates so quickly. I want my shower taps to last 15-25 years.

Each to their own etc They are tempting but just think how things changes so quickly. It’s ok I suppose if one plans to change every 5 years

Edited by gc100
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I’ve done that with a Mira unit but remember the pipe distance to the shower itself will affect the time for the shower temperature to respond  to the controls

True . So really I want the pump unit near the shower . I can loft mount it . What cable do they have to the controls for electric’s ?

59 minutes ago, gc100 said:

I’m a computer programmer so like a bit of tech. However I don’t think I’ll be fitting anything digital to my house whether it’s shower , front door, etc. It just dates so quickly. I want my shower taps to last 15-25 years.

Each to their own etc They are tempting but just think how things changes so quickly. It’s ok I suppose if one plans to change every 5 years

Lol . I’m an ex software engineer so know what to mean . But in that basis you’d never change anything it it always changes 

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Lol . I’m an ex software engineer so know what to mean . But in that basis you’d never change anything it it always changes 

Not really. How much has the shower tap changed over the last 40 years? Not a lot. How much has the phone changed in the last 10 years - a hell of a lot. It depends on what it is. But to be honest just from my personal perspective I think it would annoy the sh*t out of me looking at an outdated display in the shower every morning!! Plus I just don't think these things are built to last very long these days.

Honestly I wasn't trying to put your want down or anything, life is very short and obviously if you want it and can afford it, go for it :-)

2 minutes ago, gc100 said:

Not really. How much has the shower tap changed over the last 40 years? Not a lot. How much has the phone changed in the last 10 years - a hell of a lot. It depends on what it is. But to be honest just from my personal perspective I think it would annoy the sh*t out of me looking at an outdated display in the shower every morning!! Plus I just don't think these things are built to last very long these days.

Honestly I wasn't trying to put your want down or anything, life is very short and obviously if you want it and can afford it, go for it ?

No worries! . I just like all the new tech . But yes life span of these things does seem on the low side .?

11 minutes ago, gc100 said:

Honestly I wasn't trying to put your want down or anything, life is very short and obviously if you want it and can afford it, go for it ?

Exactly my view.  Anything that is critical to the comfortable operation and security of the house must have at least a 15 year life.  That rules out anything that's reliant on any proprietary cloud service, 'phone app, etc, as the chances are that any such bit of technology will be obsolete or cease to function after maybe 5 years.

I started off by building custom electronic solutions for things in our build, and I've gradually been going around replacing them with conventional, well-supported, off-the-shelf stuff. 

10 hours ago, PeterW said:

Mira digital ones are better tbh 

Fitted an Aqualisa one a few years ago and I think they are a bit noisy with the pumps.  

How noisy ? ( I know that’s subjective) . Assume you mean gravity fed version ? Combo version would be quieter I assume ? 

Ok - with both of these it appears you need to have an uninterrupted water supply I.e add a header tank !!

I’m guessing unlike a thermostatic mixer which will reduce the flow in event of not enough hot or cold - these ones just stop ???

I might have that wrong - would love anyone with a digital shower to tell me .

Sounds a bit pants 

• 3 years later...

We have an aqualisa aquastream, fitted 15 years ago maybe.  The on/off/boost is controlled by delicate switches which sadly are positioned where any water drips might go - that’s all that’s gone wrong on it.  Spare part was avail, easy to fit.

People generally love it, plenty powerful on normal mode.

Ours switches on with the bathroom light, to get rid of a bit of standby power without having to remember to switch it on and off.

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Old thread resurrection. 

@Pocster what did you fit in the end? 

I got a reasonable deal on two Aqualisa Optic Q showers. Just arrived. 

Just a thermostatic mixer off the UVC. Plenty of power ; no issues ( with shower or uvc/ashp for that matter ).

Edited by Pocster