Site layout of plot

Hi All

Looking for some direction. I have a fairly long (north to south 50m) and narrow (east to west tapers 36-26m) plot. I am keeping the house closer to the south side to maximise exposure to daylight, however this presents a headache over placing my garage and outbuilding (storage shed because....shed) to the north side.  Is there guidance or a programme/info on how far away buildings can be from eachother without one being in a constant shadow of the other? i.e. if I were to have solar panels on garage roof, if there guidance on were to best situate the garage in relation to the house first?

3 hours ago, StevieD said:

guidance on were to best situate the garage in relation to the house

That will also depend on local custom and practice and what the planners will accept. I've lived in places where it would be no problem having a free-standing garage backing onto the road (facing the house), and others where that would be instantly rejected.

We are rural and we have a recent neighbours build their free standing garage with its back to the road so its not a precedent. If I did that, it would place it in the north east corner of the plot, I just wonder if the dwelling will put it in shade in the afternoon/evening, when I would be generally be using the using the building.

You could use a photographer's ephemeris (software / app) to give you the sun direction and height at any time of day throughout the year for your plot position. Using that you could work out what would be in shadow when.

An alternative would be to use Google SketchUP to model the site - it can model the shadows too.

If you're required to put anything together for planning permission on the topic - unlikely if you're on a rural site - then the BRE guide 'Site Layout Planning for Daylight and Sunlight – A Guide to Good Practice' is the standard reference.

Many thanks, il check the links out.

We are not required for PP but I have family on the other side of the road, almost parallel and I would like to ensure we wont be casting long evening shadows for them also. We have a nearby farm, the workshop is perfectly positioned for the sunlight all day but is protected from the prevailing winds, id like to replicate that for my garage/workshop.