Timber frame and external brickwork.

I'm easily confused so forgive me.

If you are building a timber frame property, with an external brick skin, i believe you have to account for the timber frame settling. Ie; brickwork gap to soffit, window head and sills etc. So say you build a timber frame, and instead of putting on a brick skin, you slap on some renderboard, and K-rend etc. If timber frame settles, why don't all the render boards buckle etc.... Just a thought.

Just read that thread, and i am none the wiser. From what i have seen, even if joint gaps are left, they end up getting filled with basecoat before the mesh is put on. One of the reasons i asked is that i saw that effect of a house at BRE in Watford. The one in the thread looks very bad. I feel for them. Imagine trying to sell the house with it looking like that. Just as bad is the fact that nobody seems to understand what has caused the problem. The gaps specified for brick outer on a timber frame are quite large, so the timber must move a lot.

Edited by Big Jimbo
Missed a bit

Not that I know anything about the subject but putting a rigid product on a timber frame does seem counter intuitive. The same reason I don’t like ridge tiles mortared on, timber moves, mortar does not .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

Well if nobody realy knows the answer, i won't be going for renderboard over a timber frame then.

I guess letting the timber frame settle before boarding or fitting windows etc would solve the problem. Wouldn't work for those wanting a quick build though. You could use engineered timber like I-beams which would move a lot less.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I guess letting the timber frame settle before boarding or fitting windows etc would solve the problem. Wouldn't work for those wanting a quick build though. You could use engineered timber like I-beams which would move a lot less.

I adore timber i beams Peter. I have been using them on flat roofs for years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I quite like them as well. My whole house is built out of them.

I know Peter. I would love to build mine out of i beams. To be honest, i just worry about re-sale, non standard construction etc.. It's funny, building control have always said to me, you don't see i beams used on domestic extensions. But they all like the fact that i had used them.

14 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I know Peter. I would love to build mine out of i beams. To be honest, i just worry about re-sale, non standard construction etc.. It's funny, building control have always said to me, you don't see i beams used on domestic extensions. But they all like the fact that i had used them.

It's just classed as timber frame, whether it's 140mm timber studs or 300mm I-beams. I think having timber cladding on timber frame might affect re-sale more than the frame material itself.

• Like 1