Can you trust your smart building.

Was shown this today - interesting and a bit OTT, perhaps too 'big building' focused but if you are contemplating a connected home lots here to point up the pitfalls to be avoided.

https://www.iotsecurityfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/IoTSF-Smart-Buildings-White-Paper-PDFv2.pdf

I was also watching a sensor demonstration on Friday with an 02, CO2, Humidiy and Temperature capability and wondering just what you could make of the data from a room with one of these it it! EG "Hello there are two people in this room exerting themselves rather". Curiously the people demonstrating it had not thought of the implications of logging their data into the cloud!

Edited by MikeSharp01

We had people at work who's job was finding clever ways to correlate data in order to increase its value, in that case primarily reconnaissance.   Having seen several powerful demonstrations as to how data correlation can provide an in-depth insight into what's going on, then I think you're wise to highlight this with regard to building sensors.

I've been playing around with the data that my car sends back to the Tesla Mothership all the time it's on.  Easy to see that it could be incriminating.  Only yesterday it logged me doing XX.XXmph on a section of the A46...

1 hour ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Only yesterday it logged me doing XX.XXmph on a section of the A46...

They don't need to report that.

You have done it yourself.

Think I shall go and rewatch Minority Report.

The Baader Meinhof terrorists were pinpointed to a flat because of the sudden increase in electrical energy usage.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I've been playing around with the data that my car sends back to the Tesla Mothership all the time it's on.  Easy to see that it could be incriminating.  Only yesterday it logged me doing XX.XXmph on a section of the A46...

Presumably this means that when you buy the car you sign away your rights to the data, can you not turn it off / take out the nG sim card??

24 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Presumably this means that when you buy the car you sign away your rights to the data, can you not turn it off / take out the nG sim card??

There's nothing I can see about rights to the data at all.  The Tesla API is undocumented, and we only know about it, and the functionality it has, from a few people who have reverse engineered it.  The official Tesla apps use it, and Tesla don't seem to be bothered by third parties using it. 

I had a play around to see how easy it is to use, and it seems pretty easy to control a fair few of the car's functions via a simple widget a bit like an Amazon Dash button.  All it needs is a token, obtained by submitting a request with the appropriate owner authentication data for the car with the specified VIN, plus a code to renew the token when it expires after 45 days.  That way the widget never needs to know the authentication details, as it can just renew the initial access token using the renewal code.

It seems pretty easy to use something like a ESP8266 to do simple stuff, like act as a single button remote to turn on the heating/cooling in the car from anywhere in the world (as long as there's internet connectivity both ends).  Just as easy to unlock the doors, open or close the windows, boot etc.

Not sure it's really that secure, TBH. 

There's no easy way to remove the SIM card, as it's built in to the car somewhere, so things would need to be taken apart to get at it.  Also, some of the car functionality would be lost without connectivity, as it relies on the LTE connection to do quite a bit of stuff, from basic housekeeping and software updates to things like voice controlled functions.