garage/workshop build

Hello there folks, this is my first post on this forum so go easy!

I am looking for some advice, i have finally bought a house with the facility for me to build a workshop at the back of the garden. the house is a 1930s mid terrace, there is a rear access rd and i have around 5.5m x 6m of land i can build it on,  the restriction i have is that both of my neighbours have buildings at the backs of their gardens that are built up to the party line, obviously i want to build as close as possible to their buildings so i can maximise the space, i laso want to keep my wall thicknesses to a minimum whilst also having good to excellent sound and thermal insulation. i would like a concrete floor as i am planning to have some heavy equipment in there and also i think it will be much longer lasting than a timber floor.

i have been thinking about doing a timer frame building and pre cladding the side walls before erecting them. 

The problem i am having is finding a good solution for damp proofing these side walls and making them as durable and long-lasting as possible. can anyone here advise me or point me in the right direction

Many thanks

Raj

28 minutes ago, Rajsol3000 said:

my first post on this forum so go easy!

No nastiness here. Weirdness and strange ideas, for sure, but mostly just helpful people.

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

First thing would be seek permission from both neighbours to join onto their walls. then you only have to build a front and back wall.

It's a nice idea, but I think it could cause all sorts of problems. The neighbours may be OK with that idea now, but the neighbours will change at some point, and the new ones may say 'get orf my property', or words to that effect. Or one of them may want to pull down their building. Or what if damage was caused... Boundary disputes ensue, and as my old dad once discovered, the only people who win from boundary disputes are the lawyers.

1 hour ago, Rajsol3000 said:

Hello there folks, this is my first post on this forum so go easy!

I am looking for some advice, i have finally bought a house with the facility for me to build a workshop at the back of the garden. the house is a 1930s mid terrace, there is a rear access rd and i have around 5.5m x 6m of land i can build it on,  the restriction i have is that both of my neighbours have buildings at the backs of their gardens that are built up to the party line, obviously i want to build as close as possible to their buildings so i can maximise the space, i laso want to keep my wall thicknesses to a minimum whilst also having good to excellent sound and thermal insulation. i would like a concrete floor as i am planning to have some heavy equipment in there and also i think it will be much longer lasting than a timber floor.

i have been thinking about doing a timer frame building and pre cladding the side walls before erecting them. 

The problem i am having is finding a good solution for damp proofing these side walls and making them as durable and long-lasting as possible. can anyone here advise me or point me in the right direction

Many thanks

Raj

Unless you have good airflow do not use timber cladding, I would look at using box profile steel (cheap) or plastic cladding (expensive) and create a minimum 25mm external cavity.

Keep the building under 30m2 internally otherwise building control will need to be dealt with.

Edited by MatthewPike

I would look at your house insurance, what are you going to keep in it of value, you may find a timber building is limited on getting contents insurance. 

Instead of timber cladding why not use a cement or composite board type cladding. Then do what you said build the frame clad it and raise it.