Architect disappeared with job 90% done!

DC5

Hi Folks, apologies not been on for a while as we have been saving to have an extension built so not been doing much building!

We implemented a structural engineer / architects company to carry out plans / building warrants for a loft conversion to an old cottage about 5 years ago. The job went smoothly and we were very happy as the advice we received was very good and several critical areas which I feel could have been missed by some people were attended to, the conversion is now almost complete and all was well.

Between last year & late 2018 we decided to apply for planning permission for an extension which we got via said previous company and then within the last 6 months requested warrant drawings and also a drawing for a retaining wall in the back garden to accommodate said extension.

We received near complete warrant drawings in July but when we submitted them to our builder for him to cast an eye over prior to council submission, he said measurements were missing as was the retaining wall drawing.

We chased said company from August to December with continual time wasting and delaying tactics until we heard nothing from him at all, we then heard on the grapevine the company had ceased to operate. This is a real pain because not only does it leave us a bit out of pocket, we have lost our preferred build window and probably our preferred builder for this year as he has had to commit to other jobs!

It looks about 80 / 90% done, does anyone know the best way forward or have any recommendations of someone who could finish the drawings (if that is possible) and provide spec / drawing for a retaining wall.

We are based near Stirling!

Any help much appreciated.

If anyone is able to have a look at the drawings and see what they think of they that would also be appreciated!

479-02-03.pdf 479-02-04.pdf 479-02-05.pdf 479-02-01.pdf 479-02-02 (3).pdf

Edited by DC5
files added

Sorry to hear your predicament; you ask for suggestions -

• Yes, we'll all like to look at what's done so far - most of us on BH are as nosey as a dog with debts.
  • The company has disappeared but the drafts person will not have done so. If you know the name of the architect (draftsman or woman) , have a look at the architects register and see what you can find.
  • Find out if the company has an arrangement for other architects to take over their existing work: leaving customers in the lurch is very dimly viewed by the RIBA
  • Rattle the grapevine again and see what has happened to the people in the company.
  • Network locally and see if an Architectual Technician will finish your drawings for you.

Upload the drawings - looking at those will give us better idea of what needs done next (pdf format'll likely be best)

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, I have updated the post with the drawings added thus far, any feedback appreciated! I have removed the details section on the base of the plans for now just in case anything comes of the issue we have / are having!

Sorry to constantly repeat myself, but it has to be said :

Go online. Go with freelancers not companies. (e. G. Upwork is a platform that does freelance work auctioning).

The days where work has to be done locally is over. And the days of the office jobs is soon to be.

17 hours ago, Patrick said:

Sorry to constantly repeat myself, but it has to be said :

Go online. Go with freelancers not companies. (e. G. Upwork is a platform that does freelance work auctioning).

The days where work has to be done locally is over. And the days of the office jobs is soon to be.

Thanks, I will have a look at that. 

I appreciate that you obviously feel frustrated having to repeat this comment and it may seem the obvious route to you, however there has a lot to be said for someone standing face to face with you locally, seeing the site and knowing the lie of the land with the local planning / warrants office, I was going to mention insurance as well but I guess in my case this is a moot point! 

I had actually considered that someone could possibly finish the drawings off in such a manner but wasn't sure!

@DC5

Not frustrated at all. I m just afraid that I come across like a broken record saying that you can do a lot of things online nowadays that go beyond shopping on amazon.

You have a valid point in that looking at the project/plot gives a different perspective and that might be a good idea if an architect gets a blank canvas to come up with a design. But in order to finish off a design or, what a few people trying to achieve - tranlsating ones own design into Cad drawings, there is no need for local knowledge, only need for the technical knowledge.

Just now, Patrick said:

@DC5

Not frustrated at all. I m just afraid that I come across like a broken record saying that you can do a lot of things online nowadays that go beyond shopping on amazon.

You have a valid point in that looking at the project/plot gives a different perspective and that might be a good idea if an architect gets a blank canvas to come up with a design. But in order to finish off a design or, what a few people trying to achieve - tranlsating ones own design into Cad drawings, there is no need for local knowledge, only need for the technical knowledge.

Thanks, to be honest that was what I wanted to do but was a little worried I would be "flamed" for this. It is not my level of expertise so I can't comment on the quality of work thus far n- not sure if anyone has had a look at the drawings or has any comments?!

You are totally right in an ideal world it would be interesting to see someones different take on the project but I'm horrified as to how much time we have lost on it already!

I've just posted via Bark to see if I can find anyone suitable!

21 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Due Diligence !  

Thanks will do, further to your initial post I've done some digging and everyone has gone to ground I suspect but can't confirm their will probably be a phenoix company in the not too distant future.

I've only found one client who seems to have been affected negatively and they are currently quite out of pocket on a private residential project and are pursuing legal channels to little avail.

I'm now on the hunt for an architectural technician then I think!?

Hi folks, I've been looking into this.

I've tried a few people "remotely" however the most positive communication I am getting is from people locally.

The first quote I've had back is from an Architectural Technician they are saying £2.5k for the warrant drawings & digital submission plus a further £750 to £1k for an outsourced structural engineer plus the council warrant app fee approx £600 .

I am told the council warrant app fee is discounted because an SER registered engineer would be used on the above.

This person is pretty much wanting to start from scratch and do a full site survey and proceed from there.

I am unsure if this is a reasonable price or not can anyone provide any feedback would be much appreciated!

Edited by DC5