First fix costs compared to "turn key"

Sjk

Morning,

I've been quoted £1,000 per square meter to take the build to up to and including 1st fix, the price excludes the cost of windows and doors. The costs coming from builders is around £2,200 for a complete turnkey project. 

Does the cost to first fix sound about right?

Architect says £1,800 per square meter should be possible. :(

Cheers

Edited by Sjk

without knowing full spec  of what they are doing and what sort of house  its hard say anything . depending on what spec of windows and how many  don you know  what they are  going to cost ?

send plans to another builder+get quote for windows and doors fitted from a supplier ?

what sort of floors and heating system in this turn key  package--far too many variables and what is not included in turn key package --landscaping -drive etc ?

how many sqm?-

do you fully understand what "up to first fix means"-- or what he means by that 

maybe a little professional help is required to drill into what these quotes actually mean 

Edited by scottishjohn

Plus one with above 

£1000 up to include first fix would be plenty for most 

We completed our build for less 

Doing much of the work ourselves 

To a pretty high spec 

If you are going down the traditional route rather than Timber frame you will spend significantly less getting to watertight 

But be sure to get everything itemised When quoted for a roof don’t assume facias soffits etc are in the quote 

post up your quotes I’m sure others will have plenty to say 

• Thanks 1

Sorry totally missed the paragraph about the house. It’s a standard brick and block build to a typical new build spec nothing fancy.  

Windows and doors will add approx 11.5k to the budget. 

I know we need to agree on exactly what is included but have a reasonable idea what his quote includes as he talked me through it. 

I was trying to get an idea of the cost ratio if that makes sense? I.e first fix as a percentage of the total cost. 

House is around 120sqm. 

While I’d be delighted to get to 1k per sqm, realistically when factoring in opportunity costs its never going to happen. I’d have to quit work, there’d be a big loss of income. 

Edited by Sjk

1 hour ago, Sjk said:

Sorry totally missed the paragraph about the house. It’s a standard brick and block build to a typical new build spec nothing fancy.  

Windows and doors will add approx 11.5k to the budget. 

I know we need to agree on exactly what is included but have a reasonable idea what his quote includes as he talked me through it. 

I was trying to get an idea of the cost ratio if that makes sense? I.e first fix as a percentage of the total cost. 

House is around 120sqm. 

While I’d be delighted to get to 1k per sqm, realistically when factoring in opportunity costs its never going to happen. I’d have to quit work, there’d be a big loss of income. 

If it's a pretty standard build and nothing fancy, why go with an architect?

I paid around £2,850 for planning, building warrant and structural drawings.

Our house is 138m2.

Expecting the cost to be around £1350m2 prehaps a bit less.

I've done jobs like fitting clips, painting etc the rest I have used individual contractors.

I've heard when skimmed out should be 60% there on cost but I think this is too low. Usually you have paid for your service connections at this point and all that is left is 2nd fix, kitchens, bathrooms, flooring and decor. Suppose depends how mad you go on spec