Myson underfloor heating controller replacement

Carrerahill

I am about to head over to a friends house where they say their Myson EUFH has stopped working, no illumination from the LCD display and bathroom freezing. I suggested it will just be the controller and it will be as simple as getting another but I will pop over with a meter and do some checking.

So the primary question I have, assuming the in-floor temperature sensor is of type X and in the say 1Kohm-1.5Kohm range, just figures plucked for discussion sake, will another manufacturers controller also use a sensor within the 1-1.5Kohm range? In which case generally they are interchangeable? That would let them pick one up from screwfix or similar today, if not I will need to get them to order a Myson replacement.

Any advise would be great.

I have only ever installed EUFH once and didn't really need to think about it as it all just worked!

11 hours ago, ProDave said:

Power will usually be fed to the unit from a switched fused connection unit. Check first the fuse in that is okay and it is getting power.

Thanks, however, I should have said, I had my friend check all the basics including putting a new fuse in the spur etc. checking MCB/RCD.

Anyway, it transpired the power circuit for the controller was knackered, to get him up and running again I replaced a blown capacitor and some resistors and he has heat again, it is only a temp fix as I didn't have any SMD components so to replace the knackered ones with, so the new ones are soldered in but it meant the cover could not be put back on properly so we have used about 4 x 1G faceplate spacers to get it all back in!  

He will order one from Myson tomorrow - his wife had to have warm feet tomorrow morning, I suggested a bucket of warm water but that wasn't acceptable. 

Edited by Carrerahill

53 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ah yes, the scourge of modern electronics, rubbish capacitors.

To be honest I would source some decent capacitors, e.g. Panasonic and do a proper repair.  I am willing to bet the new one will go the same way.

It's bad now isn't it!

That is quite tempting, but it would fall to me to source the components and repair it and to be honest in this instance it is easier just to let him get a replacement. I will ask him for the old one with a view to repairing it. 

Edited by Carrerahill