Warranty

nod

I'm bout to take out a ten year warrantee I'm guessing that they are as pointless as an NHBC warrantee

But if we decided yo sell in the next ten years It may be a mortgage requirement for any potential purchaser

I have one from LABC who building control recommended and one from AEDIS for 40% less

I'm just concerned the later may not be recognised by  the mortgage company's

Any thoughts?

There is a list from the Mortgage council that you can get that lists every single mortgage provider and what warranties they accept. I only found this after a very few frustrating days on the phone to various providers! I'll see if I can google it for you. I'm going to go with C-R-L, I like their personal account manager and flexible approach to non-standard building approaches. Still expensive though!!

• Like 1

We went with LABC because of the breadth of mortgage lenders that accept them, they were fine with our MBC house, picked up one structural issue that was rectified with no issues and we received the certificate 24 hours after our final inspection, they were great to deal with, we didn't use them for building control we used the council, agin no problems with them.

4 hours ago, Mikey_1980 said:

We went with LABC because of the breadth of mortgage lenders that accept them, they were fine with our MBC house, picked up one structural issue that was rectified with no issues and we received the certificate 24 hours after our final inspection, they were great to deal with, we didn't use them for building control we used the council, agin no problems with them.

Hi Mike

We have contacted LABC As they were recommended by BC

I'm guessing that a claim via a structural warrantee company  is as unlikely to succeed as a claim against the NHBC 

So will only be purchased should we need to sell

The LABC warrantee is coming out at 3300 Bit steep But they do seem to be on most of the lenders lists

Ive had a couple of others for just over half that But only occasionally pop up on the lenders lists

Build zone seem to be on most of the lenders lists So I will give them a call next week

But will have to be quick  

as I intend starting clearing the site next week

• 3 months later...

As regards Aedis. They are doing my BR so I thought I may as well get them to do the warranty as well & paid them (thinking wrongly as it turns out that logically they'd just get one inspector to do both) ... then to my horror discovered the folks we've applied to (via buildstore - and there lies a whole other story!) for our mortgage don't recognise them! Now here's where I gets weird - the mortgage provider and Aedis turned out to be almost next door to each other on the same business Park!  So Aedis nip across the road and speak to manager of building society, who then got in touch with me and say hereafter they'll  now accept aedis ?. Phew.

Edited by curlewhouse
  • Like 1