Indirect Hot Water Cylinder allowance for Boiler sizing (3KW?)

HaloThree

My whole house UFH heating requirements have been calculated at approx 15KW, I've read many times that the rule of thumb is add 3KW to your central heating requirements for hot water (system boiler for indirect unvented water cylinder).

I've spoke to the manufacturer of the cylinder I'm looking at (Telford Tempest 300L Indirect), and they've told me that the coil is rated at 15KW - exact wording was "The cylinder will require roughly 15KW". 

Am I right in understanding that I would have to have a 30KW Boiler (15KW for central heating + 15KW hot water) in order to reheat the cylinder in the quickest time from empty whilst the heating is on full. I'm keen to ensure that if the tank is emptied it can get back up to full asap. 

Thoughts?

15 kW used to heat the 300 lt of water, or 15 kWh stored in the 300 lt of water?

I would have thought the latter.

It would take about 6 hours to heat up from stone cold (around 10°C) to 60°C if it was a 3 kW input, just over an hour at 15 kW.

It could be that the number just coincide here.

1 hour ago, HaloThree said:

Am I right in understanding that I would have to have a 30KW Boiler (15KW for central heating + 15KW hot water) in order to reheat the cylinder in the quickest time from empty whilst the heating is on full. I'm keen to ensure that if the tank is emptied it can get back up to full asap. 

Yes, if you want to guarantee having 15kW available to heat the cylinder when at the external design temperature, probably  -1°C/-3°C. The 3000W value for water heating is used by the Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) boiler sizing algorithm.

• Thanks 1