Remote/wi-fi boiler controls?

Vijay

I have a standard boiler setup in my house with a hot water tank. The controller is a standard Siemens DWB29 https://www.jtatkinson.co.uk/siemens-rwb29-twin-channel-programmer-hcon302.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoIPvBRDgARIsAHsCw0_8upk05aFWrpN8lzF0YaYw9SxdG-L9utPnlso-W6eTBMfaCZAilkIaArd7EALw_wcB

It would be so handy to be able to remotely turn on the hot water from my android phone and wondered if anyone has ever come across a direct replacement unit  that would allow me to have a nice tank of hot water when I got home from a cold winters day on site?

Cheers

I'm a Google Nest fan. It's a flawless piece of kit and plays superbly well with Android. I only use mine for Heating, but I understand it'll handle the Hot Water side too.

I also don't use it to the limit of it's capability, but to be able to turn the heating on from my phone, or off when we're on holiday and forget to turn it off is a revelation.

I know they're not the cheapest, but honestly, when we finally do our build, we'll certainly be fitting another.

This is what Smart Thermostats - nest, hive, tado, honeywell etc -- are all about.

Almost all will want to replace your siemens controls with their own controller, then you can poke at that via the app on your phone.

13 minutes ago, joth said:

This is what Smart Thermostats - nest, hive, tado, honeywell etc -- are all about.

Almost all will want to replace your siemens controls with their own controller, then you can poke at that via the app on your phone.

...and that's a problem how?

47 minutes ago, joth said:

No problem. I misread the OP thought they were after something to remotely control the existing Siemens controls. 

I don't think you're wrong. I do think that's what he's hoping for. ?

A complete solution would be better in my opinion though.

I've installed a Drayton Wiser system which simply plugs into the industry standard back plate. Very easy to install. It also works without an internet connection, although you need one if you want control when away from home. It's cheaper than the competition too.

3 hours ago, joth said:

No problem. I misread the OP thought they were after something to remotely control the existing Siemens controls. 

I was hoping to just change the actual controller and not have to do any wiring to be honest - and for as cheap as possible 

I'll look into Drayton Wiser, sounds like it could be the simplest of solutions

Switchbot? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B7NXV4R/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=paulhibbertco-21&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07B7NXV4R&linkId=23199595b597e38ad5b10312c296c07c

I  saw this on Paul' Hibbert's YouTube channel recently and am tempted to try this myself to control my ashp switch via HomeAssistant.

You will also probably need the hub that links this switch to the mobile app (another £30 or so)

• 1 year later...
On 29/11/2019 at 22:13, Vijay said:

I was hoping to just change the actual controller and not have to do any wiring to be honest - and for as cheap as possible 

I'll look into Drayton Wiser, sounds like it could be the simplest of solutions

If not already solved I would give another +1 to the Drayton wiser. Works well with my set up. Like having a completely zoned system but without having to reconfigure any pipework!