German Speaking WC expert required please

Browsing the Megabad site with Google translate turned on, there appear to be three options when it comes to WC selection. They are:

spulrandlos

'flushing, borderless'

tiefspul

washdown

flackspul

washout

My previous sanitaryware came from Egypt. Complaints were receibed that on key occasions, it simply wasn't 'man enough' for the job in hand. So we dont want that problem again.

Given therefore that the primary requirement is for a flushing toilet with a concealed cistern that works, would anyboady care to have a go at explaining the distinction between spulrandlos, tiefspul and flackspul?

From what I could gather, washout-down (better?) flushes contents out the bottom of the pan with greater force and up and over the u-bend, the wash-out (more likely to get blocked??) has a shallower pan and the force of the wash has to push  the contents up of the edge of the shallow pan before it goes down through the u-bend,

The other is rimless. I guess this is an aesthetic difference that requires better control/direction of the flush water to not splash over the edge as it doesn't have an upside down U channel around the upper edge to control the path of the water.

Reuter.de has an English language option on the website and similar pricing. 

Edited by IanR

Ja, kein Problem Junge. Many Germans are expert scatologists for reasons explained below. We know our toilets!

3 hours ago, Fallingditch said:

the distinction between spulrandlos, tiefspul and flackspul?

Spurandlos ist ein bischen kompliziert..... because of the delightfully annoying tendency of Germans to run words together

spul means flush

rand means edge

the suffix ...los means without

Literally translated edgeless flush; which is why its never a good idea to call yourself a translator - interpreter is better. The word might mean direct flush, that is,  it doesn't flush the edge. For those of us who can keep it all focused and accurate perhaps. :$

tiefspul is deep flush ....  a flush for No2s

flackspul, no idea, never heard of it .... spray flush, perhaps? Or maybe the toilet uses anti-aircraft guns to shoot enough flak at it all to flush it (and the toilet itself) away? Bear in mind that many Germans have what we would call an unseemly  interest in scatological issue, and examine the product (which is presented on a shelf in the loo itself) before flushing. The water trap is in the front of the loo, not towards the rear.

Which is what made me ask my mum whether German anatomy was the reverse of its  English counterpart. I was 6 at the time.

Out of the mouth of babes and children.....

Edited by recoveringacademic
an attempt to clean up the humour
  • Like 1

I can't remember which way round it goes, but one of them has an "inspection shelf" as common in German toilets, and the other doesn't. I think I googled wash down vs washout. I *think* it's washout, if you don't want the poo shelf. 

Potentially disastrous error to make. Rimless was a cleaning thing, makes it easier - there's a video on Youtube about it. 

11 minutes ago, divorcingjack said:

one of them has an "inspection shelf" as common in German toilets, and the other doesn't. I think I googled wash down vs washout. I *think* it's washout, if you don't want the poo shelf

According to IanR's link to Waitrose Bloke, the one with the Inspection Shelf is Number 2: the Wash Out Closet ("condemned in Britain since the beginning of the twentieth century").

Interesting use of the word 'condemned' - how does a WC get condemned?

(And it would be Number 2 for the Number Twos of course.)