Should I use this rawl plug? Shower screen install through tiles

Roz

Hi hub! It’s been a while. Partly because the site keeps bugging out on my computer so have to use my phone, and partly because things have been slow on site. I think I need to close some of the gazillion tabs I have open! 

I have a shower screen to install on some 9mm tiles, which are fixed on tanked plasterboard, which is on 50mm batten against SIPs. 

Do these plugs look good? They seem too big for a 6mm hole and go straight through an 8mm hole, so I should buy a 7mm bit? I wanted to check that, but also check that they are the right plugs for the job. They came with the screen

F9381732-3439-4BB9-81A0-809FBB9CB0DC.jpeg

16E98818-82D0-4873-AD7D-2C6B205A957F.jpeg

What are your tiles made of?

We have a porcelain tile in our bathrooms which was a bugger to drill through - the spade shaped bits were useless but the blunt type worked well, however you need to use a template to get them started otherwise they skidded around the tile.

I usually bin the screws and plugs that come as standard and use decent ones - saves faffing with a 6/7/8 mm bits as you're finding out. I just used standard PB plugs - if there was a stud behind the tile I'd cut the plug down just to cover the tile part.

Are these fixings are to hold a metal profile that the screen slots into? If so, a bead of clear Sikaflex between the flat side of the profile and tiled wall (apply after you've drilled all the holes but before you finally offer up the profile) will hold it tight and give you a waterproof seal also.