Lightweight aluminium channel- source?

Crofter

Not strictly housing-related, but I'm trying to source some lightweight aluminium channel material. Ideally around 50x50mm. It's to form part of a solar panel support on a boat.

I can readily enough obtain chunky 3mm thick material, but I don't need anything like that sort of strength, and I don't really want the extra weight.

I know that much lighter extrusion and pressed channel is available for use in things like sliding doors, but despite extensive Googling I'm really struggling to find anything.

If anybody has any ideas about where I might obtain something like this, that would be much appreciated.

@Crofter

Not sure if you have sourced this yet, But I was in a place called MacSalvors (very well known don here for odds and sods), they have some channel that is what sounds like you are after.

Give them a call, and if you have no luck closer to home, I can get you some and post it up.

https://www.macsalvors.com/

Edited by SteamyTea

Hi @SteamyTea thanks for that, I will see what they say.

I'm not needing the channel any time soon really, bit of a long term project.

Thinking about a slight redesign as well which would reduce the amount I would need, so using heavier gauge material would be less of an issue.