SSE's EV tarriff. What's the catch?

pulhamdown

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.  I couldn't access the one I wanted.  Anyway, I see SSE has introduced a "1 year fix and drive tariff", allowing up to 2000 kW hours of free charging between 12.00 midnight, and 7.00am.  A "smart meter" is compulsory.  This looks like a no brainer when we get an EV, as we already have a fully paid off solar PV system.  It looks like an off peak set up, but without a separate meter.  Has their "smart meter" actually become smart?  What's the catch? 

It's an incentive scheme to get people to have a "smart" meter fitted.  Once you have a "smart" meter you cannot get it switched back to a standard one, and so can be subject to any variable tariff scheme that the suppliers come up with.  The suppliers are desperate for more people to have "smart" meters, as it enables then to reduce their risk in buying wholesale electricity on the 30 minute slot, buy-ahead, spot market.  They can vary tariffs every 30 minutes to consumers if they wish, so once people have "smart" meters it's going to be pretty hard to compare one supplier with another as far as price goes.

I've been trying to track the Octopus Agile tariff (which is a variable rate one) with our standard E7 tariff, and it's incredibly difficult to do.  Right now, many of the "smart" meter incentive tariffs look quite attractive, but I can't see this lasting, TBH.

• Like 1

that would be fine if you could use it for other things as well.

if you had 2 ponds  you could use that free stuff to do your own pumped storage generation  with a small micro hydro unit.LOL

HMMMMM

thinks +plots

just looked at it its 2000kw  ayear --so 5.5 kw per day 

unless other unti prices go crackers on this system --its a no brainer -as no exit cost from scheme

Edited by scottishjohn

9 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

That would be fine if you could use it for other things as well.

Surely there's no "smart meter" bright enough to detect the difference between a car charging, and a dishwasher on a midnight mission.?

14 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

that would be fine if you could use it for other things as well.

if you had 2 ponds  you could use that free stuff to do your own pumped storage generation  with a small micro hydro unit.LOL

HMMMMM

thinks +plots

just looked at it its 2000kw  ayear --so 5.5 kw per day 

unless other unti prices go crackers on this system --its a no brainer -as no exit cost from scheme

Most domestic supplies are rated at well over 5.5 kW, in theory ours is rated at 23 kW.  Car charging normally runs at around 6.5 to 7 kW, so if there's a 5.5 kW maximum power limit then that means turning the car charge rate down.

Added:

Is there a mix up between power and energy here?

2,000 kWh is about 5.5 kWh per day.  That then makes more sense.  2,000 kWh would be around 8,000 miles in most EVs.

Edited by JSHarris
Added afterthought
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pulhamdown said:

Surely there's no "smart meter" bright enough to detect the difference between a car charging, and a dishwasher on a midnight mission.?

my guess its a separate line which goes to a car charging socket .

a lloose lead that connects from that to your ASHP?

free heating for all!!

Just now, JSHarris said:

Most domestic supplies are rated at well over 5.5 kW, in theory ours is rated at 23 kW.  Car charging normally runs at around 6.5 to 7 kW, so if there's a 5.5 kW maximum power limit then that means turning the car charge rate down.

more like after you reach 2000kw --you then pay for it

6 minutes ago, pulhamdown said:

Yes, not at all hard to do.  "smart" meters log and report usage to a reasonably fine level over the network, and the data can be analysed and an approximation as to what type of device is being used can easily be determined.  For example, a load increase (or decrease) of about 3 kW, for a period of an hour or two, would almost certainly be an immersion heater.  A similar load switching on and off several times for a period of an hour or so would probably be an oven.  A load of around 7 kW on for several hours pretty much has to be a car charge point.  A load that comes on at a modest level, then reduces over time, is probably an ASHP.  Tracking energy usage, and correlating it with the time of day, day of week, outside temperature, etc, could allow a pretty accurate pattern of use for all fairly large appliances in the house to be built up by your energy supplier.  By doing this, they get a better profile of you as a customer, so can then target you for a range of purposes, which may include selling the data they collect to third parties (for example, knowing your pattern of use of an electric car would be of interest to insurers, car suppliers, etc).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Yes, not at all hard to do.  "smart" meters log and report usage to a reasonably fine level over the network, and the data can be analysed and an approximation as to what type of device is being used can easily be determined.  For example, a load increase (or decrease) of about 3 kW, for a period of an hour or two, would almost certainly be an immersion heater.  A similar load switching on and off several times for a period of an hour or so would probably be an oven.  A load of around 7 kW on for several hours pretty much has to be a car charge point.  A load that comes on at a modest level, then reduces over time, is probably an ASHP.  Tracking energy usage, and correlating it with the time of day, day of week, outside temperature, etc, could allow a pretty accurate pattern of use for all fairly large appliances in the house to be built up by your energy supplier.  By doing this, they get a better profile of you as a customer, so can then target you for a range of purposes, which may include selling the data they collect to third parties (for example, knowing your pattern of use of an electric car would be of interest to insurers, car suppliers, etc).

big broither is watching as usual

1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

come on --I know that

but you could use it up alot quicker than 5.5kw perday --then you pay for anything over your yearly free allowance

OK, so if this just a mix up over units then? 

Do you mean "5.5kw per day", as that is only about 0.229 kWh

Just to be clear, 5.5 kW is a measure of power, a bit less than the power drawn by most EV charge points.

5.5 kWh is a measure of energy, enough electricity to allow many EVs to drive for around 22 miles.

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

OK, so if this just a mix up over units then? 

Do you mean "5.5kw per day", as that is only about 0.229 kWh

Just to be clear, 5.5 kW is a measure of power, a bit less than the power drawn by most EV charge points.

5.5 kWh is a measure of energy, enough electricity to allow many EVs to drive for around 22 miles.

yep they are giving you 2000kwh - if not then they are giving you sod all

just checked it is 2000kwh--8000miles they 

Edited by scottishjohn

2 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

wee change of subject and i know you will have answer at hand 

12dc --40max load --30m long cable --what size needed

its for local clayshooting club

Depends very much on the maximum allowable voltage drop.  If it was acceptable to only deliver 11.5 VDC at the remote end (so a voltage drop of 0.5 V) then ~85mm² cable would be needed.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

Depends very much on the maximum allowable voltage drop.  If it was acceptable to only deliver 11.5 VDC at the remote end (so a voltage drop of 0.5 V) then ~85mm² cable would be needed.

i came up with a silly size like that ,but another on line calculator said 16mm2 

23 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

10.5 is normal acceptable on car systems -ecu,s will work fine to 10v

1.5 V drop over 30m (so 10.5 VDC at the end), at 40 A, will give a cable size of ~27mm², so the nearest size would be 25mm², accepting a slightly higher voltage drop.

41 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

wee change of subject and i know you will have answer at hand 

12dc --40max load --30m long cable --what size needed

its for local clayshooting club

That is ~500w so a cheap £30 inverter at the 12v end, 1.5mm 230v extension lead and then 500w transformer at the load end. Change from £100 tops, far cheaper than a big fat cable.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

That is ~500w so a cheap £30 inverter at the 12v end, 1.5mm 230v extension lead and then 500w transformer at the load end. Change from £100 tops, far cheaper than a big fat cable.

that would be fine --but no mains supply to site --its all batteries

38 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Or my water heating and two storage heaters.

But it's unlikely that they would have the same combined power signature as an EV charge point.  A charge point tends to run for around 90% of the on time at maximum power, then it gradually reduces power during the balancing phase of the charge at the end.  A couple of storage heaters and an immersion are likely to each switch off asynchronously, with a pattern that could be correlated with the weather, so I'd guess that it would be reasonably easy to determine the most likely cause of the load pattern.  The hot water usage is probably fairly consistent, whereas the storage heaters will probably vary their charge roughly in proportion to the weather, I'd guess.

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

that would be fine --but no mains supply to site --its all batteries

@PeterW is suggesting making your own “mains”. That's what the inverter is for.

(But I'm a bit doubtful about a cheap modified-square-wave inverter feeding a reactive load like a transformer.)