Shower tray at floor level

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Is there any reason a typical ‘lipped’ shower tray rather than be sat on the floor be actually in the floor ? . So the top of the tray is level with finished floor outside the shower .....??

I went sort of half way, and set the base of our shower tray part way down  below the level of the finished floor.  I used 9mm marine ply as a sub-base for the tiles, glued and screwed to the OSB flooring, and fitted this after I'd put the shower tray in.  The flooring is 12mm thick travertine, so, allowing for ~2mm of tile adhesive, the base of the shower tray ended up around 22mm lower.  This left the top of the tray sticking up around 15mm above the finished floor.  I did seal around the tray before fitting the marine ply, then sealed it again after fitting the marine ply and before laying the travertine, then ran a final seal around after finishing off the travertine.  With luck I don't think it's likely to leak.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Bastard of a detail to seal and maintain. 

Are you referring to a regular tray with an upstand?

Yeah . It was just a thought . For the ensuite as space is tight i’ve Ordered a 1000 x 760 tray with sliding doors . Really wanted a walk in shower - but it will piss everywhere! . So I thought to make it a bit ‘flasher’ sink the tray ( have plenty of depth ) . But ! If you think I’m asking for trouble then won’t !!

Not asking for trouble just looks a bit nasty imo. 

Looks like the floors been over-laid during the last make over kinda thing. 

To try and seal a flat floor to the flat surface of a tray is just horrible. It’ll never look nice. 

Do as I normally do, and as @JSHarris did and just leave 15mm or so above the finished floor level ( FFL ) and don’t bother with the up-stand. 

FYI I only recommend up-stand trays for rentals / student digs as they’re bombproof. Just a horrible gap to keep clean but easily done quarterly by the landlord ??

1000x760 is a cracking sized shower so don’t moan about that, just be sure to not put any clutter on the sides so you can throw some shower shapes in there ?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not asking for trouble just looks a bit nasty imo. 

Looks like the floors been over-laid during the last make over kinda thing. 

To try and seal a flat floor to the flat surface of a tray is just horrible. It’ll never look nice. 

Do as I normally do, and as @JSHarris did and just leave 15mm or so above the finished floor level ( FFL ) and don’t bother with the up-stand. 

FYI I only recommend up-stand trays for rentals / student digs as they’re bombproof. Just a horrible gap to keep clean but easily done quarterly by the landlord ??

1000x760 is a cracking sized shower so don’t moan about that, just be sure to not put any clutter on the sides so you can throw some shower shapes in there ?

The other issue i’ve got is that leaves around 1metre to get a wc and sink in . Don’t want one of those ‘diddy’ sinks you can get 1 finger in so looking at round wall mounted ones as 400mm seems reasonable and allows room for wc . 

Its big for an ensuite just want to use the space as effectively as possible 

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

I  would think that 1000x760 could be Ok with an entry slot, not a door, would be Ok depending on where you put the shower head.

F

Yeah I wasn’t 100% sure; so a frameless sliding door takes away my worries ? . Water will stay in there whilst showering ( shower head at opposite end to door ! )

22 minutes ago, pocster said:

The other issue i’ve got is that leaves around 1metre to get a wc and sink in . Don’t want one of those ‘diddy’ sinks you can get 1 finger in so looking at round wall mounted ones as 400mm seems reasonable and allows room for wc . 

Its big for an ensuite just want to use the space as effectively as possible 

i have one of the Lillangen sinks from Ikea in my tight bathroom. Available in several sizes including 400 x 400, 400 x 600 and one only 270 deep.

Big enough to be very comfortable to use, and also good shape for washing and soaking things.

Also inexpensive.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lillangen-single-wash-basin-white-00135419/

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah I wasn’t 100% sure; so a frameless sliding door takes away my worries ? . Water will stay in there whilst showering ( shower head at opposite end to door ! )

Yep ... if you do get a walk in you have to be well-enough controlled to avoid spraying the water out of the gap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Yep ... if you do get a walk in you have to be well-enough controlled to avoid spraying the water out of the gap.

Choice of shower head makes a difference, too.  The hotel we stayed in last week had a really nice design of shower head that directed the spray over a fairly wide area, but with no tendency to splash out.  By contrast, the head we have has a narrower spray pattern, but it does tend to splash, so we have to remember to turn it to face the wall a bit before turning it off.

It'd be really useful if bathroom showrooms were plumbed in, so that the spray pattern of a shower could be checked.  FWIW, the shower head at the hotel was (I think) a Grohe Rainshower Next Generation Solo.  It was definitely Grohe, because I made a note of it, but I'm not 100% sure of the exact model yet.

• Like 1

We have a massive travertine "tray" that is set into the floor so the inside of the tray is flush with the floor but sides are about 30mm above floor level. It feels like a level access but can cope with an inch of water inside if we've got lazy and not cleaned the trap!

If you decide to set the sides of the tray flush then I'd actually leave them a few mm proud so the door seal doesn't scrape on the floor tiles.

• Thanks 1