Upstairs bathroom UFH - above or below floorboards?

BMcN

I plan to have UFH in all groundfloor rooms.  I have 1 bathroom and an ensuite upstairs which I would also like to have UFH.

My understanding is that the manifold would either need to go upstairs or have a separate one for the 2 bathrooms upstairs.  The latter being the preferred one I guess as it may need a different supply temp.

My main question is, what would be the better solution upstairs 

• 1 . Alu spreader plates on the joists, then 22mm caberfloor on top, followed by tiles.

• 2.  22mm Caberfloor with low height water UFH (12mm pipe I guess), followed by tiles.

• 3.  Electric.

• 4.  Something else.

Yeah I think that's my preferred at the moment.

I guess another option is to lay them in PUG by fixing some PIR between joists.  I'm guessing around 13m2 at 60mm is about 1.5 tonnes though which might not be a good idea.

I guess under the other option, you could use Omnie Tor Floor, its 22mm chipboard with groves routed for 12mm pipe. Once you've laid the floor and pipe you glue and screw down 6mm ply and put down the appropriate floor. I've got it everywhere upstairs, it works reasonably well. The heat distribution is good on laminate, but due to the proximity of the pipes to the surface of the tiles you can feel where the pipes are pretty easily.

I keep meaning to do a write up on it.....but I've been real lazy and having a slight issue with it at the moment.

Option 3) put down electric mats under the tiles. We have wet UFH on ground floor (suspended timber, alu spreader plates) but went with electric mats on a timer in the bathrooms. Works fine and was relatively low cost.

• Like 1