Vat reclaim on demolition?

I have a small amount of demolition to do on site, specified as a requirement in my planning permission. I am not doing it myself, so wondered if I could successfully get it zero rated for VAT (since it's mostly labour) or could claim any of it when the time comes? It is being done after "official start" has been declared in case that makes a difference.

I think the answer is "no" because it's not directly part of the build, but it's worth asking the question because it's a few pounds I don't have to spend!

If this demolition is part of a larger piece that is zero-rated and is on your planning permission, then yes you can request that the demolishing company zero-rate it. You cannot reclaim it after as they are providing a service (i.e. the demolition).

Yes definitely should be zero rated.  I’ve just done the same. My demo & site prep required tree surgeon to remove trees, jcb operator to demo house, lorry driver & lorry to take rubble away, and SSE to relocate overhead power cable.  All charged zero VAT for the work, but some required me to explain rules.  But had to pay VAT for skip hire.

Edited by Bozza