When to do pad foot

LA3222

On 13/11/2020 at 19:15, LA3222 said:

20200205_101809.jpg

20200205_101818.jpg

@LA3222 did you just connect  these two pipes inline with a running tee for the first one and then a normal 88 or rest bend for the inner one?  

I'm at  that point where its been done next week and I'm frantically spending late nights trying to make sure I have everything sorted. 

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Rest bends into angle tees run down the line is the way to do it. Don’t use ordinary bends at the bottom of stacks and don’t use 89° tees 

So is that a rest bend then angle tee (like a 45 tee? ) on its side to put it into the main drain. So they all come off as branches? 

7 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

So is that a rest bend then angle tee (like a 45 tee? ) on its side to put it into the main drain. So they all come off as branches? 

Yes - or use ICs as per @Temp but some people  don’t like to see a row of IC lids so just put one so you have rodding access or a rodding eye at the top end. 

10 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

@LA3222 did you just connect  these two pipes inline with a running tee for the first one and then a normal 88 or rest bend for the inner one?  

I'm at  that point where its been done next week and I'm frantically spending late nights trying to make sure I have everything sorted. 

All my stacks went into a rest bend and then then I had three stubs coming out beyond the slab.

I'd worked out roughly what the what the distance between each would be and so what height they would all need to come out at the get the falls right. 

Each one then went into a y branch just before entering the main run of the IC. The y's were then all connected in a line. So I now have three ICs in a line at the front of my house. Initially an eye sore but you get used to it.

I was going to connect the two which are next to each other into one IC but my neighbour (a builder) who was giving me a hand advised not to as the flow coming in a side branch would wash over the side potentially leading to blockage later. He said ideally each pipe (if stench pipe) should come in on the main branch and not side ones.

The picture shows where I have the two pipes next to each other. Had to bend one pipe slightly to get enough room to come into the main run on the next IC. You can see how the y branches were used in that pic.

I see his point because my static is connected to a side branch on my main IC. I did this knowing that the main run would eventually be what the house runs came into and I do get wash over in there. I periodically have to hose it down to get all the little treasures in there to wash away.

20200912_144010.jpg

9 hours ago, Temp said:

Instead of 45 deg branches consider inspection chambers like this.. Can do two branches off each main run. 

image.png.3a57e3e6c7cd55c65ec45cb2fbceb37e.png

But the 45's are under the slab, I'm maybe not thinking of it correctly. 

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

Yes - or use ICs as per @Temp but some people  don’t like to see a row of IC lids so just put one so you have rodding access or a rodding eye at the top end. 

Would that be an IC for each from the house, so no branches under the slab. 

3 hours ago, LA3222 said:

All my stacks went into a rest bend and then then I had three stubs coming out beyond the slab.

So in your the picture further up, those two stacks don't connect under the slab?

3 hours ago, LA3222 said:

Each one then went into a y branch just before entering the main run of the IC. The y's were then all connected in a line. So I now have three ICs in a line at the front of my house. Initially an eye sore but you get used to it.

So from the above pic, you have IC, then Y branch (where i can see it on pic) then you have the twice again just at the bottom of the pic? (I can only see one y branch on your ic - which is throwing me off here?) 

I may need to advance my drawing to show people what I mean. 

I personally would avoid junctions under the house but it is done. All of our branch pipes (eg from stacks, ground floor WC and kitchen) take more or less the shortest route out from under the house and connect into IC on the main pipe runs down either side of the house.  You can connect more than one branch into an IC.

You don't have to use an IC at every junction but think how you would rod a branch pipe if there wasn't one? You might only have access to the branch via a WC indoors. With IC you can rod from the outside. 

43 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

So in your the picture further up, those two stacks don't connect under the slab?

Correct. 3 stacks, each with their own rest bend and then three seperate pipes running under the slab to 3 ICs.

Each pipe enters the their IC on their main branch, not a side branch. To do this, and then be able to connect them all up so it all runs start to finish through the main run was to use a y branch as each pipe hits its IC.

20210114_134558.jpg

• Thanks 1

Here is a made up example of a combined Rain Water and Soil..

image.png.4d96bc1da8b5042fd748ef47bd950c3f.png

The Rain Water Gully branches can be rodded from the gully so they don't need a manhole/IC where they join the main pipe.

The stack (Soil Vent Pipe/SVP) needs a manhole/IC so it can be rodded without taking apart the stack. Likewise the branches to an internal kitchen sink without a gully and the WC.

The main run can be rodded from the manhole/ICs in both directions. If there had been a bend in it (eg taking it around the back of the house) then you might put an IC at the bend so it can be rodded in either direction. 

The IC have 45 degree internal channels so they inject water into the main pipe in the direction of the flow.

The stack can be inside the house. If you have more than one the stack furthest from the sewer should/must be vented. The others can have AAV on them.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Each pipe enters the their IC on their main branch, not a side branch.

Why did you do that? It prevents you easily rodding the branch from the IC which you have anyway?

20 minutes ago, Temp said:

Why did you do that? It prevents you easily rodding the branch from the IC which you have anyway?

On the advice of the neighbour giving me a hand. He's a builder so I went with what he said. I couldn't fault his logic ref using side branches leadng to blockages if your soil run goes there as I've witnessed the effect myself with the static caravan foul run. Surprising how much 'crap' washes over the side that needs hosing away.

I get your point about rodding, two sixes and a dozen - cant rod into the house from the IC but then will it ever need rodding if coming out through main branch? If came in on side branch, yeah can rod it but then are you increasing the odds of needing to rod it??‍♂️

Would you want to rod in an upstream direction?

Also, how often does anyone ever need to have their foul pipes rodded? I've not needed to yet, I dont actually know anyone that has?

Edited by LA3222

6 hours ago, LA3222 said:

Also, how often does anyone ever need to have their foul pipes rodded? I've not needed to yet, I dont actually know anyone that has?

Welll...I could tell you the story about the time at my flat I let out. One of the tennants in the block (three flats) decided flushing sanitary towels was a great idea....queue me having to pull a ball of at least 20 sanitary towels which had compacted into a ball with sh!t and toilet paper out by hand.......... but thats an extreme case. ?

I'd added a drawing to another thread I'd started as I've completely taken over this one.