Structural Engineers

Conor

Hi.

We're building using a passive raft foundation, ICF walls, concrete decking system for intermediate floors and an EPS panel system for the roofs.

For each of those elements, each supplier has offered engineering services to do calculations etc.

Normally I'd prefer a single SE to do all of this... But a lot of these are novel and proprietary systems and I'm not sure I could find an SE that is competent for all of these items. My local SE firm has never done ICF before...

Anybody done similar, and what did you do?

14 minutes ago, Conor said:

[...]

But a lot of these are novel and proprietary systems and I'm not sure I could find an SE that is competent for all of these items. My local SE firm has never done ICF before...

[...]

Nail. Head. Bang on.

Choosing 'an' SE nearly cost us a lot of money. Choosing  the right one saved us many times his fee. (Passiv slab , Tanners). They in turn knew nowt about ICF, so we used the ICF manufacturers SE.

Just go through the Due Diligence process with each.     

Fee proposal, References, examples of similar work ....  Follow up references

• Thanks 1

Perfect. I'll use my architects preferred engineer to oversee and check the manufacturer's calculations. She'll be coming out next month to do the soil samples anyway. 

As I'm an engineer (not an SE tho) and project manager, I should be able to manage any changes or conflicts effectively... 

Edited by Conor

I worked with a SE (based in Bath) who was highly competent in ICF - in the end we only used them for basement (shuttered concrete) and garage raft calcs but  they don't need to be anywhere near you logistically to do what you need.

2 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Choosing  the right one saved us many times his fee. (Passiv slab , Tanners). They in turn knew nowt about ICF, so we used the ICF manufacturers SE. 

Who was the ICF company? Kore have included a quote for services from Tanner's for the EPS raft.