Stud wall build up for sound-proofing

Dan F

Hi,

We are currently doing a post-planning layout review and working out if we want to change anything and/or use planning tolerances to increase any spaces slightly along with reviewing the stair rise/going etc.  I may be getting a bit too detailed maybe, but I want to ensure that we allow enough depth for internal walls, so that we don't find that after having applied acoustic treatment later we actually end of with smaller spaces (particulay in smaller rooms and hallways) than expected and/or kitchen units no longer fit because internal walls are 200mm and not 100mm.

I've been reading the British Gypsum white book and found these options, quantified with decibel values:

1) 2x2 12.5mm SoundBloc + 2 x Resilient Bars + 50mm mineral wool   = 59dB   (175mm thick with 89mm stud)

2) 2x2 12.5mm SoundBloc + 1 x Resilient Bars   + 50mm mineral wool   = 56dB   (159mm thick with 89mm stud)

3) 2x2 12.5mm SoundBloc + 25mm mineral wool                                      = 46dB   (143mm thick with 89mm stud)
4) 2x1 15mm SoundBloc     + 25mm mineral wool                                     = 43dB   (123mm thick with 89mm stud)

This of course doesn't detail all the options, but it seems that one of the best things you can do from looking at this is use resilient bars on at least on one side of the wall, and I'm thinking the sweetspot for areas where sound-proofing is important might be the 159mm variant.  But I'm keen to understand peoples real world experience:

- What have people done, but then post-build realised it wasn't enough?

- What have people done, and been very happy with post-build?

Thanks!

Reference: https://www.british-gypsum.com/~/media/Files/British-Gypsum/White-Book/White-Book-C04-S11-Partitions-Non-loadbearing-timber-stud.pdf?la=en

Edited by Dan Feist