Solar PV connectors and rain

tonyshouse

What do we think about solar pv push in plug connectors exposed to rain?
I recently refused to accept them lying in puddles and on a flat roof where they could get wet or lie in slush.
They went back and did this leaving them still exposed to the rain
Why oh why didn't the clip them up under the panels out of the weather?

IMG_0637.JPG

If that's what they're designed to do, then why worry? Yes, it would be better for them to be tucked underneath, but hard driving rain will still get to them so they'll either take a battering or they won't. Seems from the installs I've seen that they will, indeed, take all that the elements can chuck at them and still perform admirably. 

Clearly they do initially or they would have failed already, how would they perform under freeze thaw cycles and how stable will they be to UV light, clearly they absorb it well as they are black. 

I am am expecting the to turn grey, go brittle, O rings suffer deterioration and the connection to eventually fail.

looking at 50 years time scale is it therefore sane to leave them exposed?

In my non-technical view..........

If there was sufficient cable length to tuck them away then it just seems untidy and increases long term failure possibility (who knows though if solar panels will last 50 years!!!!).

However I guess if running them underneath would have meant more joints then you could argue that's just as bad.

i just don't like untidy, it offends my OCD and that install would annoy the crap out of me! :D 

• Like 1