Connecting a meter box: quick check please.

ToughButterCup

I'm installing our water meter box. Never done this before, so I'd be glad if you could give these images a quick coat of looking at, please. Comments welcome.

I have assembled the bits and  bobs and slid them onto a scrap piece of 25mm 'Blue' (as I now know I should call it - plumbing jargon eh?) 

The bits and bobs

20190806_092709.thumb.jpg.985bd61e9b3995af58251f7b4c1b3f37.jpg

Quick question: use the long or the short insert - does it matter?

Inserted into the meter box in this order

20190806_092838.thumb.jpg.78d3200f5da5652a116e8c0439d67a3e.jpg

Results in this connection : do  I need that white tape stuff?

20190806_092952.thumb.jpg.44388a17d6c230e3eeade29d270f0038.jpg

• Which of the two sleeves above should I use ( long or short)
  • should I use Plumbers tape (? the thin white tape stuff)

Thanks for your time: I appreciate it

Ian

1. Develop a good feel for when the pipe clunks fully home.
  2. Someone here recommended using a marker pen so you can see when the pipe is fully home.
  3. Put aside the required number of inserts before beginning and make sure none are left at the end.
  4. Pour a bucket of clean water before closing the stopcock and cutting through a pipe, so you can clean bits dropped on the ground. (Saves an embarrassing trip to the neighbour with bucket in hand).
  5. Measure carefully because the stiff pipe cannot be forced into alignment with a tight radius in the final 1m.
  • Like 1

It is worth understanding the water seal is made by an O ring inside the fitting that the pipe pushes into. So debur the end of the pipe and push it in nice and square.

The blue split collar, that is clamped by the white ring that you tighten is purely there to mechanically secure the pipe to prevent it coming out.  It plays no part in making the seal, and tightening it won't stop a weep if you get one.