Arrrgh can't make my mind up!

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

The lesson learned was that big stuff is often much easier to decide on than small stuff.  It's much the same with self-build.  The big decisions, like deciding to buy a plot, are often relatively quick and easy.  What soaks up inordinate amount of time and effort is making the small decisions, like what make of plumbing to use, or which tools to buy.

Parkinson's Law of Triviality. So, so true.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Brilliant!  Didn't know it had a name.  Reading that, I'd guess that whoever set up the task on our course knew all about it, although it was pre-internet, and hence pre-Wikipedia, so they must have heard of it  from somewhere else.

I remember one of these "team building courses" we had to attend.  We were split into groups of 3 and given 3 minutes to examine an object but we could not make notes, just look at it.  We then had to go and describe the object to the others.

We aparently were the first to ever get it right.  Most groups just waffled "well it's sort of square and has a pointy out bit over there.  But we took the approach that each of us would examine it from one side only in detail and memorise our side.  Then we reproduced between us a third angle projection drawing of the object.  I believe we were the first group of engineers to be sent on this course.