Structural Warranty Quote

Hi I've had a structural warranty quote for £2600 does this sound about right ?   someone else has mentioned an Architect certificate but my Architect doesn't seem to know much about these?  I need to finalise something soon but a bit reluctant to pay the £2600 but obviously if we do end up moving with in 10 years we will need it , can't seem to find out about a retrospective structural warranty ins ? 

I'm out of date with the costs. 

Opinions differ on the value of a structural warranty. All I can say is that I know someone who's roof tiles turned out to be faulty and they had severe frost spalling within the 10 year warranty period. Supplier and manufacturer had gone bust. I believe there warranty company may have paid out.

Some mortgage lenders will accept an Architect Certificate but read this..

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=3840e1dc-43f8-4d57-863a-a45e73281625

An architects certificate basically gives mortgage companies confidence that your house wont fall down. eg It was designed by an architect therefore it must be reasonably ok. It's not an insurance policy that pays out if there is a problem. 

Google can find you a retrospective warranty but I suspect they will be more expensive. Sometimes they are called Latent Defect Insurance. Some might cover you for 10 years from the policy date. Others for what's left of the usual 10 year period...

Just first few links that came up..

https://i-c-w.co.uk/products/residential

"Our standard residential warranty, also known as Latent Defect Insurance, is a 10-year policy for new builds, renovations and retrospective cover."

https://granitebw.co.uk/completed-housing-warranty/

"Key features of a Completed Housing Warranty that we would find for you include:

• Retrospective warranty for the balance of 10 years from building regulations sign off"

I think most on here would agree that a Structural warrantee is not good value They are unlikely to pay out More likely to tell you to Pursue your builder

BUT Like you I’ve no way of knowing if I will sell in the next ten years

Architects cert are not recognised by some of the main lenders 

HSBC being one 

We purchased a S W He made three visits Didn’t get out of the car on the first Inspected the room from the ground on the second 

Final inspection took 10 mins 

£2400 

Though we have just finalised our cil agreement and a SW was required as proof of self build 

I have a friend who has purchased a SW retrospectively in order to satisfy purchasers mortgage conditions and he payed a little over 3k

Many on here will refer to there build as a forever home But you never know what is around the corner

Personally the next build we do  which could be pretty soon

I won’t bother with a SW 

I could always get one later should I need it 

4 hours ago, Willow said:

Hi I've had a structural warranty quote for £2600 does this sound about right ?   someone else has mentioned an Architect certificate but my Architect doesn't seem to know much about these?  I need to finalise something soon but a bit reluctant to pay the £2600 but obviously if we do end up moving with in 10 years we will need it , can't seem to find out about a retrospective structural warranty ins ? 

Ask them to quote for the Building Control too and you may find it’s cheaper than having LABC BCO and a separate warranty. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

the issue we have is that we want to borrow some money to finish the cosmetics off.

Basically a small mortgage

We already have our Building Control Cert ..

But one of the things in the bank mortgage advice states that for new builds, a NHBC warranty is "preferred" ...hmmm

Also mentions title deeds ...

Well we built the house ....so we dont have them..did a search on Google and advice differs ...some say that the Land Registry entry is sufficient,

but some say that you need "more" ....list of owners since new, covenants, freehold details etc etc....so what do people consider to be OFFICIAL deeds

these days ?

• 9 months later...

So a quite a few months on and I still haven't taken the plunge had a new quote for £2800 with Protek  which includes 2 visits the roof is on now , I am getting the impression it is a waste of money but you don;t know what is round the corner we don't intend to move in the next 10 years but you never know, if retrospective is only a few hundred quid more I am tempted to take the risk and leave it , one of my concerns is if there is a problem with the structure etc  but I am assuming once complete a standard building insurance policy will cover any defects etc is this correct?  I'm really struggling to part with my money on this one as you have probably guessed, plus someone else has mentioned about an extra charge for CDM .

• 2 weeks later...