Floor plans

K78

5 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Can the BCO dictate the design like this?  I'd have pushed back on this, as the BCO cannot tell you what you can and cannot build, all he/she can do is ensure that the BRs are complied with.  There are lots of houses built partially, or even wholly, earth-sheltered, and they have all been able to comply with BRs OK.

As you say, having one structure that performs both functions, and which frees up some useful space in the process, does seem to be a bit of a no-brainer, especially as your already a bit pushed for space in that direction.  There are several well-proven ways to build a structure like this, too, especially as, in your case, it doesn't look to be more than a single storey wall that's needed.  Grand Designs had one earth sheltered house that was two stories high with three walls that were effectively retaining walls, the one built in and old quarry in Cumbria.

As my wall leans back and has no dpc im guessing it’s too late to even consider now?

Just now, K78 said:

As my wall leans back and has no dpc im guessing it’s too late to even consider now?

I'm not sure.  A lot will depend on the wall foundation, and how that may interact with the foundation for a house wall, but there may well be a way around that.  For example, you could perhaps use a cantilevered slab over the retaining wall foundation (just to decouple the two) and then build an externally insulated wall, tanked on the outside, vertically up against the retaining wall.  The tapered space behind could then be filled with something free draining.  The first floor could also be built on a cantilevered slab, so it could protrude back over the top of the space between the ground floor rear wall and the retaining wall, making the first floor slightly deeper than the ground floor.

It'd need an open minded and creative SE, but I can't see any obvious reason why this shouldn't work well.  In essence it's less difficult to design than a capped basement, and there are a couple of people here who have builds like that.

On 06/08/2019 at 04:55, Iceverge said:

Right, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Its remarkable the things you achieve while your spawn is up at the witching hour sprouting new fangs. 

I've made a couple of assumptions. External walls 350mm, internal 100mm. All beds in the drawings are 1550x2000 (queen size). I didn't get around to drawing in any storage but I hope the locations I've left will be obvious. 

I hope you don't mind me changing the upstairs. 

I've included an extra room here that could be used as an office or sitting room. Failing that, as an extra bedroom should you ever find yourself too old or too drunk, or indeed too old and too drunk to tackle the stairs. 

Try as I could I wasn't able to fit a bath tub into the family bathroom downstairs at least not in a horizontal orientation. I've included a shower in the upstairs W/C for use with the aforementioned bedroom and as it's opposite the stairs should prove a welcome fallback just in case all lower ones are occupied. 

As per @Ferdinand suggestion I've endeavoured to extend 3 of the bedrooms into the garden with large doors. And the 45 degree doors seem to have freed up some space @ProDave

GROUND FLOOR

image.thumb.png.631063c52e847c1a7292827335ce67c3.png

FIRST FLOOR

image.thumb.png.9d3d31a6f59b020143c76602e338d8da.png

SOUTH ELEVATION

image.thumb.png.9545d70f532366921c04c41e9acb64de.png

EAST +WEST ELEVATIONS

image.thumb.png.2c82b38d70ffa9e6a836ace881d810ca.png

Those curvy walls between rooms are quite reminiscent of some plans in successful London flats schemes from the 1960s and 1970s by better architects. 

The obvious lack is that there is not afaics a sufficiently spacious accessible bathroom. I am not quite sure how BR requirements relate to an upside-down house for the accessible bathroom.

But a good different angle, which is what it is all about - widen the horizons then choose the best direction.

F