Used ASHP + Tanks etc.

Hi Folks

Looking for some guidance before leaping into E bay.  Have spotted a used Samsung 9KW ASHP complete with tank and buffer tank and all expansion tanks and controls etc. Following from the listing:-  

250ltr Santon Premier Tank Plus Pre-Plumbed Unvented Mains Pressure Water Heater with wiring.

120ltr Gledhill SL Plus Multi Buffer EE Tank plus pump.

Expansion Tanks. 

Samsung and Siemans Controller Units including wall mounted controller and room stat.

Fernox TF1 Total Filter Unit. 

All Instruction Manuals.  

However from the limited research I have done on the tanks, they do not seem optimized for ASHP IE larger coil, although I am not certain. Also what is the real world expected service life of the heat pump and compresser.

I am planning on using it to run underfloor heating and also domestic hot water, planning on fitting a 3KW PV array. Currently have gas, so new ASHP kit + PV seems expensive/long payback time, however I like being less grid dependant, but need to buy secondhand to justify the costs. No plans to register for RHI.  Here is the E bay link https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/193017668167?ul_noapp=true

The 9KW seems about right when comparing the results from the excellent JS Harris heat loss spreadsheet, it is posibly larger than required, but seems they run better a little oversized.

thanks

I would want to know how it had been removed. The Samsung controller box has a lot of connections to sensors on the tank(s) and they need to be included as they aren’t cheap. 

Not sure it mentions age of the system either - has the tank been serviced for example ..?

If the heat pump is less than 3 years old and the controls are all intact, then it’s a fair price. The rest is an unknown really. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter

I have more info, the unit was installed in 2013 and removed this March, all the manuals etc. are present. It looks to me though that the Stanton cylinder is not optimized for a heat pump input,  from what I can work out it appears to be electric immersion only. But I could be wrong!

So maybe not the bargain buy, problem is new kit is about 6-8k which as we have gas is a non starter really.