How to connect a shower tray waste over a concrete floor?

We are again planning the wet room for my elderly parents as the builder seems like he may be finally starting work soon.  We planned to have a tiled floor with a simple drain in the shower area, maybe using a former or letting the builder do it by eye (he says he's done it before). However, my father has seen our new shower and wants a shower tray like ours! 

But if the floor will be made of concrete, with insulation and electric UFH mat, how does the waste connect?  on previous shower tray installations, we (okay - the OH)  have had access to the area under the tray (wooden floorboards) to connect the waste but in this case, we won't.  so how is the waste connected when lowering the shower tray? 

Its late when I ask this. I shall try UTube tomorrow to see if there are answers there but any advice will be gratefully received. 

Here is how we did our tray on a beam and block floor with insulation and screed with UFH...

Where the shower tray was going we omitted the insulation and screed, replacing this with a timber frame and WBP. Top of WBP was the height we wanted the bottom of the tray. In our case this was the finished floor level but it could have been lower. A clearance hole was cut in the WBP where the drain hole was in the tray. The hole was about 0.5 inches bigger than the body of the trap. We used a top access trap and plumbed the waste so that the base part of the trap was centered in the hole and flush with the top of the WPB. The plumbing was done so that the trap could move sideway slightly if necessary. Mortar/adhesive was spread on the WBP and the tray lowered into place and checked for level. The top part of the trap was passed through the hole in the tray and screwed into the base part of the trap. Later this was undone and sealer put around the hole before screwing it back down again. Finally the innards of the trap and the mushroom cap were added through the top. Then the walls were tiled down to the tray.

The pipe run to the stack was done in the insulation.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

We are again planning the wet room for my elderly parents as the builder seems like he may be finally starting work soon.  We planned to have a tiled floor with a simple drain in the shower area, maybe using a former or letting the builder do it by eye (he says he's done it before). However, my father has seen our new shower and wants a shower tray like ours! 

But if the floor will be made of concrete, with insulation and electric UFH mat, how does the waste connect?  on previous shower tray installations, we (okay - the OH)  have had access to the area under the tray (wooden floorboards) to connect the waste but in this case, we won't.  so how is the waste connected when lowering the shower tray? 

Its late when I ask this. I shall try UTube tomorrow to see if there are answers there but any advice will be gratefully received. 

Mine (on my accessible ablutions blog piece) has screed but no ufh under the shower, installed by the self-builder who did the house and the waster is sunk in a little but also proud. It goes through to the garage over the slab, so should I ever need level access I will build up the rest of the floor, as I did not want to start digging holes.

I think another way is to leave a lower area in your slab or screed.  I am sure @Nickfromwales will be along in a jiffy.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Do I reread this correctly, you are contemplating putting a tiled floor or a concrete floor on top an existing suspended wooden floor with ufh?

I think the concrete is not in the picture, unless as a shower tray support ... which I would not advise as it is a bugger to deal with when there is a leak in an inconvenient place.

Can I suggest a reset with a wider requirements statement incorporating the whole bathroom?

You are after something more more like ufh with spreader plates, plywood both ways to stabilise enough for tiles, maybe a lUxury Vinyl floor etc. IMO.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

no - its a new build, hopefully starting this week.  No wooden floor.  the wooden floors were on previous showers we have done.  But things have progressed.  Dad has now said we can do a tiled floor in the shower, making that nice and easy.  But he wants carpet in the rest of the room!!  They like their comfort.?

I am showing them a neighbours wetroom in a couple of days time so hopefully he will get the idea then and realise that carpets are not ideal for a wetroom..... 

Thanks for your comments.  I am sure I will have more questions soon.?