Jump to content

Alan Ambrose

Members
  • Posts

    3392
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    15

Everything posted by Alan Ambrose

  1. As title says . I'm leaning towards RC / Sika Watertight / KORE or similar. TIA, Alan
  2. Hi, I think I figured out from our local authority that 'access' is simply highways visibility splays, driveways etc. i.e. vehicular access arrangements. Alan
  3. Hi, We're at the planning application stage. It occurs to me that during the build and while we've got various trades on-site it would be nice and fairly low cost to build a smallish workshop and greenhouse etc. From the point of view of planning acceptance, would it be better to do these as permitted development after the whole building is finished and signed-off or is it OK to include them up-front in the planning application? I'm a bit concerned that they'll just give the planners something else to shoot at. Alan
  4. Pert-al-pert pipe maybe although I don't understand the difference between that and PEX. A.
  5. Yeah. I'm going on Friday. They don't have a very good way of figuring out which exhibitors you want to visit do they? No exhibitor maps, dodgy exhibitor search facility etc. Properly lazy IMHO. Alan
  6. Hi, I was in Greece last week and you can't go anywhere without seeing simple solar thermal everywhere (the kind with the horizontal tank at the top) and also chunky motorised sun blinds that can withstand a bit of wind. I noted Iskios and Floros as manufacturers of the blinds and Dimas as one of the solar thermal manufacturers. Are we missing other good ideas and products e.g. from hotter or colder climes or just countries that have taken a different direction? TIA, Alan
  7. Ah thanks Peter, Alan
  8. Hi, I am trying to work out the foul water falls which I think are quite tight. I know the invert level of the destination and the drainage distance and the ground level at the building, but what is the minimum depth of the pipe near the foundation? I've seen references to 300mm to top of pipe and less when concreted over. Does that sound right? Also, is there a sensible minimum depth given you would prefer for it all not to freeze up? TIA, Alan
  9. >>> when you say 'package treatment plants' are you talking about modern sewage treatment plants? Yeah and thanks for the info. Alan
  10. Ah this is interesting - I'm finding lines like: "Improved energy efficiency and a reduction in CO2 emissions in buildings can be achieved through various means including orientation, siting, photovoltaics and heat pumps." ... in our local plan. That's helpful. Alan
  11. Where I am (East Suffolk), it seems that everyone normally files them. The ones I've seen seem to be of very variable quality and I'm not necessarily sure what they're getting at. And Tony K (planner by profession) did a very comprehensive one (see link above) and seemed to imply they were important ...."I read the relevant planning policies, designed a development that was in line with them, then demonstrated as much in the application". So, I'm inclined to a good job of it Alan
  12. You're assuming 'access' means 'highways'?
  13. Hi, Quick question - I'm none the wiser after reading some sample D&A statements and reading the 2013 text (below). Exactly what does 'access' mean - highways & visibility splays? disabled? bus routes and bike storage? I'm not seeing any definition in the 2013 text either... For instance, in this v. useful thread, How a planner got planning permission. - the example D&A statement mentions 'Footpath access' and 'Vehicle and pedestrian access' and 'appropriate access arrangements'. It does mention 'wheelchair' once, but not I think enough to explain design criteria for disabled users. Anyone throw any light? For instance, in (3) (d) below it talks about 'consultation'. Regarding my visibility splays !?!? Alan (2) An application for planning permission to which this article applies shall be accompanied by a statement (“a design and access statement”) about— (a) the design principles and concepts that have been applied to the development; and (b) how issues relating to access to the development have been dealt with. (3) A design and access statement shall— (a) explain the design principles and concepts that have been applied to the development; (b) demonstrate the steps taken to appraise the context of the development and how the design of the development takes that context into account; (c) explain the policy adopted as to access, and how policies relating to access in relevant local development documents have been taken into account; (d) state what, if any, consultation has been undertaken on issues relating to access to the development and what account has been taken of the outcome of any such consultation; and (e) explain how any specific issues which might affect access to the development have been addressed.
  14. I guess one option is just to go low risk and ante-up for the maximum belt-and-braces solution. Alan
  15. Ah illuminating and very difficult for you. It shows very well how even though we generally think engineering contains a large dose of science - how 4 different 'engineers' can come up with 4 different solutions depending on how gung ho / risk averse they are. Are none of the SEs / piling companies recommending driving until a particular load can be reliably supported - maybe with an increased depth / safety factor than normal as the ground seems a bit 'inconsistent'? At some point the safety factor / refusal point should be high enough that the SE is comfortable. Maybe a contingent deal where you pay for piling by the hour or metre until the SE is comfortable? ATM you're putting all the risk on the contractor / their insurer and understandably that's making them nervous enough that they're a bit reluctant to do the job. What's the warranty arrangement - that's where some other part of the risk will go? Alan
  16. Ah I do like a PDF And I also came across TR69 or something and heathost? Alan
  17. Hi, For newbies like me - does anyone have off the top of their head a one line description and a simple understanding of the pluses and minuses of the various calculators & standards: PHPP / SAP / EPC / etc etc etc. Also which have I missed? TIA, Alan
  18. Hi, I don't have previous experience with package treatment plants. We have the choice (and permission) for draining to either a 300mm twinwall discharge pipe which runs along the back of our plot or to a ditch at the front of the plot. Ignoring levels for the moment (we have not accurately measured but we believe they're about the same) and access for the sludge tanker, is there an advantage of one over the other? I guess I'm also asking if there's typically any residual smell which would be bothersome - which would argue for the pipe? TIA, Alan
  19. I know this is an old thread but here is my take: + cultivate a thick skin - it's not actually about you ... it is all about helping people to design better houses that they like. + all clients are different. LISTEN to them and try to understand their stated goals and their unstated goals. Get a sense of what styles of design they like and what they don't. + self builders by definition are confident enough to build their own houses. Some of them might be great designers too, some of them might not. Be open minded. They might have great ideas that you have never come across. + get a list of trusted professionals in other fields engineers, builders, ground works, CAD people, lawyers etc etc etc. Agree on mutual referrals. + (once you've decided you can't help particular clients) - send 'trace my plan' only enquirers to the cheap trusted CAD guy. + if you hate your new clients or their sense of design, refer them to other architects who might be more suitable. You can screen for this somewhat in the initial telephone call. + if you only want to work with like minded design professionals rather than private clients, you probably need a job in a big architectural practice, working on commercial rather than self build. + treat any info your clients bring you (including their sketch plans) as input to the design process. + for the 'trace my plan' clients, identify 3 or 4 things (for free) that will help improve their design. Explain these things and see whether the clients like your ideas (and therefore want to engage you). If not, refer them to other people (but ask yourself, if you're such a great architect, why you can't come up with a few ideas that these clients like). You will establish your worth when e.g. (a) you suggest something they love and that they have not thought of before or (b) you save them a bunch of money or planning hassle or get a project approved by the planners that has previously been rejected. + treat you work as a collaboration with your clients. You are not the final arbiter of design, they are. They achieve this right by choosing to employ you and accepting your ideas or rejecting them. + realise you provide a collection of services of which design is only one part. e.g. familiarity with the planning and planners in your part of the country / access to other good professionals / steering through the planning process / project management / liaison with builders etc etc etc. Recognise that any project may need a particular subset of those skills - including, for instance, no design input at all. Imagine you were a GP instead of an architect. The analogous problem is that many of your patients can't or won't take your advice to sort out their lifestyles and therefore improve their heath. You know how to maintain a healthy body, but they have their own ideas and they don't seem to listen. You find that deeply frustrates you. You have two options - (a) either roll with it and try to find mechanisms to help them anyway or (b) find a job where you only deal with fit clients (sports medicine maybe). And, I hope you don't mind me saying this - lighten up - it's only a job after all. Do solicitors stress about whether clients 'truly value their legal input'? Or do they just do their work to the best of their ability. Alan
  20. >>> then got 4 refusals in a line so I appealed and got what I wanted In the first place. Possible to say a bit more, if only to help others sail their projects through the planning Bermudan triangle? Was it the serpents or the sea monsters who were the worst? (Apologies and I haven't had anything to drink yet...) Alan
×
×
  • Create New...