-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
Planning Condition - does this remove PD rights?
ToughButterCup replied to Hilldes's topic in Planning Permission
Put wheels and a towing hook on the caravan - make it mobile. They can't touch ya then. -
Can anyone recommend - from your own experience - a camera with the above specification please? This sector is a jungle, - at first sight, cheap, but then you find they lock you into their servers with monthly costs for full functionality. I've spent hours wasting - errrr procrastinating - researching. I'd just like the thing to be as independent as possible. Our UsoGood trail camera is now tired and emotional - throws hissy fits on months with a R in them.... I don't mind a 4G sim based one if necessary, but it must be IP66+ , accept a solar charge and be night-vision capable.
-
Planning Condition - does this remove PD rights?
ToughButterCup replied to Hilldes's topic in Planning Permission
This issue is common: so common that it has been discussed here several times. Here's one well-argued thread about the matter. In brief - ask for your PD Rights back. If they refuse, Appeal. If you appeal and they lose, you pay nothing. That is what I plan on doing when I'm slightly less busy. Good luck @Hilldes -
Ah, if that's the case then all's well.
-
A six month sparing match with Octopus and now this Why with a SMETS2 so called SMART meter do I need to photograph the Export Display on our meter to evidence the amount exported before they will pay me for the amount exported? Why Sparkies, why?
-
Bollards: DIY them - how hard can it be?
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Driveways
Proper PMSL ... Cornflakes through the nose level - some stuck in my sinus. Taking things a step further, how about a Corex copper with a speed gun, or a full size Corex image of Jennifer Aniston pushing a pram, or ... "Cheer up, it's nearly Friday" -
Bollards: DIY them - how hard can it be?
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Driveways
Soooooooooooooo tempting that.... -
Have a look at the plan of our car park (the shaded area below). The road past our house is between the two red lines. STN 'A' is on our curtilage line. Between spot heights 27.82 above and 28.29 and the edge of the road The red line) , we will be placing some slightly raised setts or cobbles, or cubes - set in concrete about a meter back from the red line. (A rumble strip). But that alone won't discourage folk from using our car parking. It's there to remind people that they are off the road, and on our land. Therefore we need bollards. We need bollards. I've never researched bollards until to day. Who knew they could be so complex? ( OK @Pocster did) Thinking about it a bit, they need to be removable. If my research is accurate, removable bollards can also remove a fair wad of cash. Which leads me to ask - why not make some - how hard could it be? ( Come back @Construction Channel ) Four posts, simply lengths of 4 by 4, (but make 6 - 2 for replacements) painted black with reflectors built in. If I set them back one van width from the curtilage line ( the red one above - i.e. well inside our curtilage) then the spirit of what we want; safety - openness is achieved. Or how about a length of foul drainage pipe, suitably painted - hmmmm, it'd look sh!te wouldn't it? Liability for damage to eejits cars who smash their sump off on the bollard - ? Cyclists who wrap their bike on one - ?
-
Very interesting question @Jim K ... You might like to consider a wind break - or series of wind breaks up-wind - say a thick bush or something more formal - (of the top of my head - not knowing the context) say a car-port or a pergola, or a baffle of some sort, so long as it doesn't limit the 'suck' and 'blow' .... Photos?
-
House is Too Airtight
ToughButterCup replied to Newlands Ian's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
I'm wun o' they mate : bizzy bodies ... I pick up litter with my 88 year old nearish neighbour every now and then. Ex-builder. Full of words for the wise. Looks at our left-over Durisol, shakes his head. He's got a point. -
Was soll den das? Quatsch!
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Energy Efficient & Sustainable Design Concepts
A handful of MegaJewls (sorry @SteamyTea - I always worry about spelling tech stuff when I worry about you reading my posts) per kilogram. In addition , there's a vast - and I mean vast - amount of digging that has to be done to extract it. The premiere mines prior to 1989 were so big that both the East and the West had to talk to one another about it because the East produced the lignite, but the West consumed it to make electricity. Those mines have now been filled with water ( or are in the course of being filled) Thats why new mines need to be dug. To me the pollutants were pink dusty spit, eyes full of stuff and filthy car windows, and hoarseness. Blowing one's nose into a white handkerchief back then (1980s) was shocking. Ughh. -
Was soll den das? Quatsch!
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Energy Efficient & Sustainable Design Concepts
It went down the wrong way dinn'it - your tea . Just like the Germans went down the wrong way cuddling up to Pootin too quickly. Embarrassment, that's what it is. Brown coal for God's sake Brown coal! Lignite ! Memories of the thickest smogs - driving through Leipzig in the 1980s, groping our way along the main roads from brazzier to brazier, with the VoPos (People's Police) directing traffic while standing on a small dias - just above another brazier. Turn off the road and impact was assured. In my case it was a cyclists elbow. -
Rare to see a thread where readers make the effort to summarise accurately.... Thanks very much. I made the error of thinking MVHR would have to be ON all year round. Here - as opposed to many other places - we won't need it to be ON for a few months a year. But we do need it. Next problems: Which unit? How much?
-
Why? Because I was told to. Why ? Keeps the tigers away. And it looks pretty (ier).
-
That'll be that then @Mr Punter. Thanks for the heads-up.
-
You couldn't make it up : two blokes from Lancashire Roads are outside right now : two shovels, a small 7.5 tonner. Just been out to talk to them - they made the point that the hole needs to be as clean as possible before any 'blacktop' gets put in. They're using a blower to clean the hole(s) out.
-
What's the difference - and the point of two types of tarmac?
-
Debbie's idea. ,🥴 she's always correct, right, perfect, spot on . Jaffa cakes all round @Pocster
-
Hmmm, interesting, thanks. Our boundary is the where the MoT1 (see above) meets the road What makes things more interesting is in our case the fiber will run under our bellmouth (car-park), so I need to be quite careful to get the design correct. Your job looks really neat - may I ask - what are those three indentations just inside your driveway, @Blooda ? I suspect they might be either lights or perhaps for security posts ... you can see why I am interested because of the design below ( the shaded area) with green lines in it ..... and as someone above says, people will use (and already do) use our forecourt as a parking area ...... Maybe i should consider fixing something like this security post .... What do you think?
-
Do you know what, I had that thought. I wondered whether there was some kind of guidance from the local planning authority. I'll have a look through their documentation and see if our suspicion is correct.
-
Might tarmac be a partial answer? I say partial because it will inevitably be broken up by some of the really heavy tractors that go past and and sometimes tankers. And where on earth do I get tarmac from? Where is one of those gangs of dodgy looking blokes offering to resurface your driveway when you need one?
-
Our officially adopted roadway is not very well maintained. Have a look at this. Here is an image of the edge of the road next to our drive. How do I make a 'good' joint between the drive and the road? Here's what's planned I'm not really sure where our curtilage starts - or stops. The plan is to make some sort of concrete nosing to secure the sets which we want to put in. The main aim there is to prevent them from 'moving' towards the road. I'd like to put the sets in to show the edge of a cartilage. But finding out where that is will probably be a long process and I just want to get on with it. So maybe we just put the sets 500 mm back from the edge of the road and then just fill in the gap with the MOT1 and compact that. Messy.
-
Building a simple car park
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in General Construction Issues
It looks like you've used gravel to fill the grid. What sort of gravel did you use? It looks really nice and I'm quite impressed
