Extending a HIP roof to the side over a garage Query...

Powerjen

I am in Scotland and am looking at turning the old attached garage into a room, currently it has a tin roof with a slight slope and the main house on that end has a HIP roof.  I know that PD guidelines say that alterations to a roof are allowed (the garage could be converted under PD, hopefully), but as it on the side of the house, fronting the road, does anyone know if it would be ok to extend the existing HIP under PD so that it essentially starts from the same place on the main roof, but just extends down further at a shallower slope to incorporate the garage too? 

Thank you :)

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I think you can straighten up the roof to form a gable under PD which would make more sense. 

Thanks, Peter. I know that PD info says that a roof alterations are permitted to accommodate and extension, but can't find any specific info.  It would be better to do a gable aesthetically, though we are thinking about a wrap around extension on the side and back at that end so not sure how a gable would work. Unless we just did a single storey roof on the wrap around extension and didn't touch the existing HIP...

16 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I don’t think the lesser angle looks good, why not put a gable on it so it matches the other end. 

As for planning why not go down the council and ask. 

Thanks Russell, we are constrained by time and money and have found the council somewhat unhelpful so just looking at options and wondered if anyone had done similar here.

9 hours ago, Powerjen said:

Thanks, Peter. I know that PD info says that a roof alterations are permitted to accommodate and extension, but can't find any specific info.  It would be better to do a gable aesthetically, though we are thinking about a wrap around extension on the side and back at that end so not sure how a gable would work. Unless we just did a single storey roof on the wrap around extension and didn't touch the existing HIP...

A further gable going backwards would give a *lot* of space or a very dramatic room - if that is what you need.

Personally I would incline towards either a single storey roof over the garage, or the full gable, as a more balanced looking design. The single storey would match the conservatory / sunlounge better.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Ferdinand.  I assume single storey would be easier all round (no pun intended) than mess with the existing roof. You know I foolishly thought that Architects did all this stuff, but I have probably watched too many house shows in my life where it all looks simple, quick and produce just what you dreamt about.  But now I realise that unless you want to be spending 1000's on meeting your Architect to thrash things out and alot of time to do so, then it's mostly up to you.  But you guys already know that! Is there a club to join?