Hi from Edinburgh

andyscotland

Hi everyone,

I'm part way through a self-build garage conversion and small 4 sqm timber frame utility room extension. Probably the first of many projects we'll do here! The garage conversion is actually a re-conversion, after we moved in it turned out the previous owners had had it done by cowboys with no building warrant. So had to start by stripping it all back to the original garage and starting again. One of those gifts that kept on giving - as I took down the old work I found issues including big areas of wall stuffed with rolled up newspaper where they'd presumably run out of insulation, VCL against the outer wall so the plasterboard battens were rotting from condensation, ceiling noggins/dwangs made of old table legs and some electrics that had clearly been on fire. Presumably it was all too wet with condensation to take hold! My personal favourite was lifting the cheap laminate to find a disintegrating timber lid over a 2m x 1m x 2m deep vehicle inspection pit in the floor....

Anyway, now well underway putting it right - the old stuff is stripped, pit infilled, the stick-built timber frame for the extension is almost complete and I'm starting to strip and replace the roof deck (with alterations to rafters for some new rooflights).

Doing it pretty much all myself with a bit of labouring help, I did most of the design / specs / warrant application too after a lot of research, though with help and certification from a brilliant Structural Engineer. Sadly he's just retired.

Trained and used to work in theatre and event production, so picked up a lot of carpentry, welding, painting, moulding etc type skills. I primarily worked as a spark, did my City & Guilds in Electrical Installation. Done quite a lot of quite major DIY too over the years, but this is definitely the most challenging thing I've taken on.

One day I'd love to self-build an actual house, though by the time I've done everything I want to here I probably won't want to move!

I've been occasionally lurking round here in the past, looking forward to being a member and helping to answer questions where I can as well as asking some!

Hoots mon!

6 minutes ago, andyscotland said:

[...]

One day I'd love to self-build an actual house, though by the time I've done everything I want to here I probably won't want to move!

[...]

Dont do it: there's only wailing and gnashing of teeth in self-building. ?

But hard as it is, it's equally rewarding, and the welcome here  as warm as the job is difficult.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, andyscotland said:

My personal favourite was lifting the cheap laminate to find a disintegrating timber lid over a 2m x 1m x 2m deep vehicle inspection pit in the floor....

????!!!!! 

And welcome. I’m not far from you (relatively). 

14 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Hoots mon!

Dont do it: there's only wailing and gnashing of teeth in self-building. ?

But hard as it is, it's equally rewarding, and the welcome here  as warm as the job is difficult.

Thanks - I'm getting a flavour of that just from this relatively small project ;) but it's not put me off so far... As you say it's proving very rewarding!