B1 use to C3 residential?

legepe

Hi all...

I've found the following info below with regards to change of use from B1 to C3 n if I'm understanding correctly it is straight forward to get permission. However I don't understand the dates specified.

Anyone know if it is usually easy process to get this change of use n why the dates?

Many thanks 

B1 premises have the following permitted development rights:

• change of use of a property used on 30 May 2013 for B1(a) purposes (or if vacant on that day last used for that purpose) to a C3 dwelling. The change of use must be carried out by 30 May 2019 and prior approval must be sought in relation to transport and highway impacts, contamination risks and flooding risks.
    • change of use to B8 (storage or distribution) for up to 500 sq metres
    • change of use to a state-funded school or registered nursery
    • up to 150 sq metres to change of use to A1 (shops), A2 (financial and professional services) or A3 (food and drink) for a temporary two-year period. Your Planning Department or a planning consultant should be able to advise you on the procedures to be followed to take advantage of this provision.
    • extensions of up to 200 sq metres (50 sq metres for offices), but as the extension must be at least 5 metres from boundaries, these rights can only be used on larger premises. Your Planning Department or a planning consultant should be able to advise further on this provision.
    • the installation of additional or replacement plant or machinery, the provision, rearrangement or replacement of sewers, mains, pipes, cables or other apparatus and the provision, rearrangement or replacement of private ways, private railways, sidings or conveyors, provided it would not materially affect the external appearance of the premises and provided any plant or machinery is not higher than 15 metres or the height of anything replaced, whichever is the higher.
    • the provision of hard surface or the replacement of hard surface. Your Planning Department or a planning consultant should be able to advise on this provision.

I think this is to do with the Permitted Deveoplment RIghts Introduced by the Govt in 2013 to allow office buildings etc to be converted to eg flats as of right. It was due to expire this month I think. But It has just been extended indefinitely iirc.

Some 50k dwellings have been created this way over the last 3 years.

There is a Commons paper about the current state of play published this month here:

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN01301/SN01301.pdf

If you have any questions about the real detail of these measures then I would recommend the appropriate sub forum at LLZ where there are people who do this sort of project

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/

There has been some kerfuffle in the papers because somebody found an Office Block in Harlow converted into ‘mini flats’ where some London Boroughs have been temporarily accommodating their homeless people / families. Claims of ‘social cleansing’ etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/16/is-harlow-being-used-to-socially-cleanse-london

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks a lot Ferdinand... I didnt know this..

The property in question here was only given the b1 license in december 2018..

Do you think because its only just been given the license it would effect the permitted development rights?

Edited by legepe

8 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

What was it before December 2018?

It was a bakery initially I think it was built around 1820.. but before it was approved B1 in December 2018 it was used as an amateur radio club.. the building is not registered with authorities and has no formal title

10 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

That being the case you will probably need a full planning application for the change of use.

Thanks i understand that an application would be required.. but i was just concerned the regarding the dates stated in what I had found... (above)

Edited by legepe

15 hours ago, legepe said:

Thanks i understand that an application would be required.. but i was just concerned the regarding the dates stated in what I had found... (above)

Just to clarify, you will not be able to just do a Prior Approval permitted development application because the building was not B1(a) on 30 May 2013, so you need to do a full planning application.

18 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Just to clarify, you will not be able to just do a Prior Approval permitted development application because the building was not B1(a) on 30 May 2013, so you need to do a full planning application.

Ok I understand.. does this mean it carries less weight towards being approved?

2 minutes ago, legepe said:

Ok I understand.. does this mean it carries less weight towards being approved?

Not really - just make sure you put in the description how long it’s been there and previous use. It means you’ll have to pay though and if it’s creating flats then it may cost you a bit more. 

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Not really - just make sure you put in the description how long it’s been there and previous use. It means you’ll have to pay though and if it’s creating flats then it may cost you a bit more.  

Ok thanks for that.. its probably flats.. but other option is to split it vertically and create two three story cottages... i guess its no difference when it come to costs of application though