Building control sign off

Dave 101

hi - just finishing a victorian renovation.  Building Control have asked I change all the original doors on ground and first floor to fire doors, because I've converted the loft.  Really loathe to do this as they're lovely.  

If I don't get BC sign off - what are the implications?  I'm not looking to sell or rent out.

Welcome.

The main implication (other than the fire risk) would be that you may well find that failing to comply with the prevention of spread of fire regs affects your insurance.  Insurers may well have some small print that allows them to get out of providing full cover if they find out that the fire regs have been knowingly breached.  Might well also open you up to prosecution in the event of their being a fire.

33 minutes ago, Dave 101 said:

hi - just finishing a victorian renovation.  Building Control have asked I change all the original doors on ground and first floor to fire doors, because I've converted the loft.  Really loathe to do this as they're lovely.  

If I don't get BC sign off - what are the implications?  I'm not looking to sell or rent out.

Are they concerned that the stairs are open all the way up ..? If so, will they let you put a fire door at the bottom of the second flight of stairs .??

other option is to fit intumescent strips into the doors and then paint them with an intumescent coating. 

Not one you want to hear 

But you can get replica doors that meet all criteria 

Personally if I wasn’t thinking of selling I would cross that bridge when I came to it