Green roof

I think I need a partially enclosed car port to the side of the house. Nothing to big probably 28sqm. (4*7) and I’d like it to fit into the rural location. 

So I could build it like an agri shed out of corrugated stuff. But as we have lounge windows looking out over it i think I’d like a green roof. 

No doubt the official stuff is expensive, but a wooden tray on a slope with say 8*2 rafters and a 3/4 ply base covered in pond liner? That should be an effective base? Has anyone made one? 

I built one on my cabin, it’s been a great success and was a bit of fun to build. It’s a total DIY and I used basic materials. My build up from the inside out was.

Large internal vented gap

22mm sparking board

X1 layer of old carpet underlay

x2 layers of DAmp proof membrane heavy gauge black plastic

x1 layer of pond rubber

x  2 layers of old carpet 

x 1 layer of ground fabric 

25mm gravel and some insulation to save on cost of gravel and weight. 

X1 layer of ground fabric

50-70mm turf cut from an old lawn I did not want

it works great and has been up for 4 years without fault, due to it not being specific sedum plants it does dry out in summer droughts (I don’t bother watering it) but regrown very quickly at the first hint if rain. I have a 150mm gravel perimeter round the edge of the grass. During  storms it makes the whole cabin really cosy as  it sits up there like  a big stable hat and you don’t hear the rain on the roof, just hitting the big window sideways at 75 mph......... I put hidden Gravel gutters in that feed to a down pipe, all works well. I would do it again. 

B9C4C63D-7466-46E6-9E9D-1C5B2669EF00.jpeg

67CA338A-B5A8-4AB5-A4AA-C5CC6492DDDA.jpeg

E9CDAEBB-F6FB-4C86-93D7-F21F0CF24D93.jpeg

• Like 5