Fitting A Wet Towel Rail

Onoff

Hiving this off from my "main" threads to save A N Other wading through pages to find such info.

It's going roughly here:

2019-02-02_05-54-56

Assume I've the valves orientated correctly?

How many turns of PTFE on these? The 20+ I did on the outside tape - brass to brass, when I did that and it felt fine. I did again 20+ when I did the wall outlet for the shower handset, again brass to brass and tbh it felt too much!

2019-02-02_06-19-34

The stand off, tubular brackets, should I add a drop of thread lock to these Allen screws?

20190202_175917

20190202_175907

20190202_175932

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

15-18 turns on most rad valves should suffice, but you need to stop turning when the threads meet the rad as they'll keep going until it pops out the other side ( inside the rad ;) ).

I wouldn't threadlock them as they may not be un-doable afterwards. Only bother with that if they keep coming loose. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

15-18 turns on most rad valves should suffice, but you need to stop turning when the threads meet the rad as they'll keep going until it pops out the other side ( inside the rad ;) ).

I wouldn't threadlock them as they may not be un-doable afterwards. Only bother with that if they keep coming loose. 

Your wish etc:

2019-02-02_08-20-53

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I bought a deep square socket that went in the impact for putting these tails in. Bloody thing was terrifying. Used it once, then it went into the 'safe place' I keep all the other crap things ive bought.

With 17 turns of tape they went in really quite easy tbh then got "tight" at the end. Could likely have put a few more turns on. 

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I bought a deep square socket that went in the impact for putting these tails in. Bloody thing was terrifying. Used it once, then it went into the 'safe place' I keep all the other crap things ive bought.

These tails have a captive nut on with the olive part-crimped in place. Looks to be a pig to get any PTFE tape on there.

The towel rail came with these fixings:

20190203_130459

I had put 4 chunks of 6"x2" in the wall to screw to, you can see them here, to the left of the studs and foiled over:

SAM_4796

SAM_4799

Shown here roughly centred on the wooden blocks. Do we think it's a bit low? 

20190203_130549

Thanks.

Edited by Onoff

They can be directional, so the arrows should align with the direction of the flow.  I've fitted a TRV the wrong way around and it did work though, although having taken one apart I can see that if fitted the wrong way around then there might be a tendency for the flow to want to close the valve.

12 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

They can be directional, so the arrows should align with the direction of the flow.  I've fitted a TRV the wrong way around and it did work though, although having taken one apart I can see that if fitted the wrong way around then there might be a tendency for the flow to want to close the valve.

Pretty sure the TRV is on the right way as in flow arrow to the rad. It was the ordinary valve on the left I was wondering whether it could go either way up.

58 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I'm pretty sure that the lock shield goes the other way around, so that the flow direction is towards the seat where the internal rubber washer seats.

So you reckon this might be the wrong way around? Arrow is pointing up:

20190203_140445

No, the TRV is the right way around, it's the lock shield that I think needs to be the other way around (although I'm not sure it makes a difference).  From what I can remember with valves with an angled stem, the flow should come in towards the bottom of the washer that closes the valve.

8 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

No, the TRV is the right way around, it's the lock shield that I think needs to be the other way around (although I'm not sure it makes a difference).  From what I can remember with valves with an angled stem, the flow should come in towards the bottom of the washer that closes the valve.

So white bit pointing down or up?

Pointing up looks better. Locksheilds are indifferent as far as the 1000's I've fitted go ;) You can get a bit of extra audibility if facing what could be considered the wrong way, but only if the valve is dialled right back to balance a huge system. Not a problem in your system so do what looks right. Pointing down looks naff IMO.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all.

The towel rad comes with M6x60 zinc plated, flanged coach screws. If I use them then i) I'll worry about them rusting and ii) they'll only go into the timber behind by about 20mm. As an aside there's masses of clearance between the screw and inside of the st/st fixing boss:

20190204_170652

I reckon then I should use these 6x80 A2 stainless screws:

20190204_171214

These of course are countersunk whereas the coach screws allow some "wriggle" room. 

Whatever the screws will be loaded with clear CT1.

Went with the big st/st countersunk screws. On two of them I had to put flat round washers (BZP :ph34r: ) under the head so the st/st boss could move a little rather than the screw "centreing" it. Loaded the back of the boss with CT1 and screwed them down. Then CT1'd over the top of the bosses before pushing the rad on to the bosses and the chromed pipes. Out with the baby wipes!

20190204_195354

20190204_195401

I'd deliberately not grouted this pipe in to allow for some movement when fitting the rad.

20190204_195410

I presume just grout it along with this one:

20190204_195449

Then clear silicon or CT1 these on?

20190204_195420

• Like 1