Fireplace removed. How to fill?

Invader75

Hi guys,

I've removed the old fireplace in our front bedroom. It's going to be covered anyway as we're having full width fitted wardrobes. What would be the easiest fixture to fill and cover the hole give then fact that the wardrobes will have a back so it will be covered. I was thinking insulation, plaster board and a vent? Also, what about the base/bottom?

Cheers

IMG_1974.jpg

I tend to use the aircrete blocks (same size and shape as a concrete block but, lightweight and can be cut with a hand saw to the awkward shape). Go for a fairly weak mortar mix, particularly where it joins the existing brick so someone can if they want, reinstate the lovely old feature with minimum damage to the brick. 

Just brick it up and leave an air-vent towards the bottom and put a little vent over it. No need to plaster or anything. Don't be tempted to use timber - it can get damp and rot as well as giving creepy crawlies a nice place to live, although the block can get damp it won't rot and will dry out well. 

Remember to get the chimney capped with a proper vent cap - I cannot stress how important this is. 

Would it not be easier for me to fill with glass fibre insulation, board over and have an air vent. Easier for anyone to reinstate if required. As discussed, it won't be on show or used as such as the wardrobe back board will also be covering it. 

Just thinking of being able to do it very quickly and not having to deal with blocks and cement.