Building extension over a private water pipe

Hi folks,

as our refurb progresses we are looking to build an extension this year hopefully. We have a private water supply pipe approx 1 mile long passing 4m from the gable of our house approx 1.5/2m deep, it supplies us via a toby (which we have never been able to find) and about 8 houses downstream! 

The pipe is owned by the local estate and I am unsure of the bore, there was some mention of it being concrete asbestos in nature however I am unsure if this is correct.

I just wondered what the general route here is, if it can be left in situ it would be directly under the extension which I have no real issue, however rerouting looks like a major pita. We are very rural and field all around so finding a new route isn't an issue.

Just wondering if anyone has any input or experience in this and what what happen and costs involved?

12323.jpg

Edited by DC5

first job must be to find it

get your water divining rods out AND FIND IT.and also your water supply pipe and fit a toby 

move it away from your extension 

you damage it --you will be liable for all the costs and claims from those downstream
you really want a digger to be rumbling around over this OLD water supply.

maybe now is the time to get the water tested --maybe it all should be replaced anyway ?

asbestos water pipe sounds like 50 +years old

very unlikley it  was buried 6ft  down --thats costs money  2ft is more like it

very much in range of digger for new foundations !!!

thanks that depth is probably more accurate!

We have black plastic pipe coming into the house and have traced that about 3m toward said pipe but can't go any further without a digger now due the area needing cleared a bit!!

7 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Not sure why you think it is 4m away. It should be fairly simple to find the water stopcock just by following the line of the black pipe you have traced. You should not need a digger as the lid should be at ground level.

The house sits lower than the field the pipe runs through, the 4m I am just going by where the services map and where landowner thinks it runs.

I also have my suspicions that the plastic pipe doesn't run straight. Have added a pic of the ground, above in the op.

Edited by DC5

8 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I wouldn't be using a digger to "find" a live water pipe, especially if it may be brittle.

Don't panic! The area needs cleared a lot the top is very heavy going so it will get the top 300mm taken of over a fairly big area, after that its pretty easy going by hand as its good soil!

Edited by DC5
  • Like 1