New 32mm mains supply

Frogeye

Hi,

I've just had my mains supply connected today and upon peering into the trench this evening after the workers had left have noticed that the actual connection coming off the mains is in 25mm, then after 150mm or so jumps up through a 'reducer' to 32mm, which is then coupled to my 32mm supply pipe.

Should I be bothered/concerned that I don't have the 32mm connection that I had ordered, or is this standard practice?

Standard 'practice' is to give you what you specifically asked for. If you asked for a 32mm supply, then what exactly did you / they stipulate that you'd get in return from your request? 

Eg if you asked for a 32mm feed, 32mm stopcock, and 32mm interconnecting pipework then that's what you should have received. If, however, you've left that open to interpretation then it's a can of worms. Stop them from back-filling and review your order / paperwork. 

Despite specifying 32mm connection, and laying a 32mm communication pipe, our actual connection is 25mm off a 6 inch main.  Two reasons given:

1. Too many 32mm connections reduces overall mains pressure

2. It gives Scottish Water the ability to upgrade the connection to 32mm if supply pressure is a problem. 

In essence, Scottish Water (in Orkney) will only provide a 32mm mains connection when actually needed to meet minimum guaranteed performance.  

It may well be a similar situation where you live.

We wanted a 32mm pipe given that the point where the pipe enters our house is about 75m from the mains. We were told that the standard was 25mm and that if we wanted more we'd need to justify it.

Oh, and we'd need to pay for a new water main connection, including paying for a road crossing!

Hi,

Yes you're right Nick, nowhere on my paper work is there any detail of what they agree to do to connect my 32mm pipe, only the following statement:

Please note: we do not guarantee any particular flow or water pressure to existing or future customers.  Our operational standard is to maintain supplies to customers at the stop tap at a pressure of ten meters head at a minimum flow rate of nine litres per minute.

I, like Jack, have about 90m of run from the mains to my stop tap, so fingers crossed that I have a more than the minimum 9l/min!

Photo for your interest:

IMG_20160810_172119898.jpg

Thanks for the pic :)   

At least they've done the most they could do ie they've upsized to 32mm from 25mm as soon as practicable, and the 32mm pipe you've run to the house should mitigate any pressure reduction over the length as much as is possible. 9 L/P/M is shat, so you should get better than that with your arrangement. Have you / they tested it yet for the results ? 

They've put me a trickle plug instead of a meter (about 50m up the run), so I have yet to find out what it will be like. It looks to me like the meter is also a 25mm meter so there is another pinch point for me!