Windows sealing strategy

Hi All,

I was curious of your thoughts on this recent collaboration between 6 different american ICF companies. What window sealing strategy would you use below....see the the link below the picture for the answers :)  (Take your best guess first though)

ICF-windows.jpg?raw=1

Here's the short report.

https://www.icfmag.com/2016/09/weatherproofing-icf-walls/

Edited by magnethead
  • Thanks 1

I guess the next question is .... How important are insulated reveals in a window opening? If a Aluminium or PVC window was put directly on the core, would it be a major cold bridge or just a small one.

One builder I was talking to, said that the insulated reveals are overrated, would only add an extra 20 quid to your heating bill for the year?

Does that sound right?

Thanks

Nice little article here on flashing ICF windows, one guy near the end went total overkill on his approach

http://www.greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums/tabid/53/aff/16/aft/51770/afv/topic/Default.aspx

Has anyone used liquid flashing here around their windows? or a peel n'stick?

I'm using a company called 'Thermohouse' and they have a special ICF revel block, that uses a compression seal to seal the window against the house.

I'm not sure if I trust window companies to fit them that well, I've seen some install when you'd get your arm between the window and reveal

Window-section.jpg?raw=1

For our build with ICF, we used Contega Solido SL to create an airtight seal on the inside. There is an accompanying primer that you can use on the XPS. You put around 10mm on the window frame (the kacing tape as a slit at 10mm to let you put that on first) - which gets covered once you plasterboard - and then the rest sticks to the ICF. It's flexible to get into anygaps or round any frame fixings (for fixed lights). The primer is excellent and the tape sticks completely.

We used low expansion  foam in the gap for insulation and noise, and outside used Compriband tape - although in hindsight, in the really exposes areas, I would have used CT1. Either way, the exterior seal was protected by the cladding returning against the window anyway.