Depth of adhesive + Ditra + adhesive + porcelain tile

Pete

I am trying to pour some self leveling upto my sliding doors with which I am trying to get a level threshold. Can anybody @nod/ @Nickfromwales give me a rough idea of the depth I need to leave to ensure I am pretty near the top of the threshold without going over? I am thinking of leaving approx 25mm after I pour my self leveling to allow the adhesive(3mm notched trowel), Ditra, adhesive (10mm notched trowel)and 10mm porcelian tile. TIA 

10mm notch under the ditra will squash down to 3 or 4mm as it fills the egg box profile underneath. 

The 10mm notch above will do more or less the same, but allow 6mm total upper adhesive thickness and you should be ok. 

The ditra becomes a sandwich inbeyween the two layers of adhesive so you don’t need to allow much for it in actuality. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I am trying to pour some self leveling upto my sliding doors with which I am trying to get a level threshold. Can anybody @nod/ @Nickfromwales give me a rough idea of the depth I need to leave to ensure I am pretty near the top of the threshold without going over? I am thinking of leaving approx 25mm after I pour my self leveling to allow the adhesive(3mm notched trowel), Ditra, adhesive (10mm notched trowel)and 10mm porcelian tile. TIA 

Hi Pete 25 will be ok 

Better to have a bit of building up than to be a bit tight 

Don’t use more than a 5 mil float on Ditra 

It doesn’t need much for the fleece to grab 

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

10mm notch under the ditra will squash down to 3 or 4mm as it fills the egg box profile underneath. 

The 10mm notch above will do more or less the same, but allow 6mm total upper adhesive thickness and you should be ok. 

The ditra becomes a sandwich inbeyween the two layers of adhesive so you don’t need to allow much for it in actuality. 

Thanks Nick

2 hours ago, nod said:

Hi Pete 25 will be ok 

Better to have a bit of building up than to be a bit tight 

Don’t use more than a 5 mil float on Ditra 

It doesn’t need much for the fleece to grab 

Ok will do. Thanks

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just remember to go over the ditra to make sure you haven’t got any lifts or ruffles as you’ll then have to bring all the floor up to those high points. 

A 4’ length of 3x2 is a good guager and will  quickly identify any ‘bumps’.  

Good advice 

I use a a grouting float to flatten down

• Like 1