Insect mesh

vivienz

I'm planning to put some insect mesh between the overhand of the parapets and the outside of the timber frame.  I'm waiting for a price from Sydenhams and it's available at Wickes for £99 for a 30m roll of 75mm width, 0.2mm guage.

I've also found this:

Robinson wire cloth

For the same product, it's only £20, also for 30m of 75mm width.

Am I missing something, or is it just that Wickes are very expensive?

8 minutes ago, vivienz said:

Am I missing something, or is it just that Wickes are very expensive?

Nope... Wickes are extortionate for this sort of stuff as it’s non-standard ..!

Thats a very good price btw - better than I can get (about £26 from memory) but you probably want to buy double that width and make it into an inverted U shape behind the cladding. 

• Thanks 1

We got our insect mesh from Mesh Direct.   Specification and costs below including the very handy staple gun.

The mesh was quite mould-able so you could make a sort of inverted u shape.

I managed to mould ours pretty well.  There were times I wished I had ordered something slightly deeper than the 100mm because once you put the u shape in you don't have alot left to staple.

image.png.41a2b0b5193ad76bc3223525362fa9ac.png

Got some rat mesh from the same website to cover the EPS with at ground level.  Not so easy to mould or fix, particularly if on your own trying to do it.  So that's a job not done yet.

Here's a pic of what we did on the insect mesh.  Hope this helps.

KUSocYR43MRl4vYfREamHxcv2X0yaELMt7axBqxhd6MYlBMnp-wM7C8Ol2ryZtyP2UAym3TIXqb-prJ7-XqTbpz0jDJI1HBKqCwdyIv0rOEH85vVPQjgRJLEDAwL1Usytj7DUtdhUkXAMxXjwZY8THeL6K-8Z_ijjJ113kDzr6YiPTilmJpUOJTMf-EyPKgt6DHQ-Pn0QIoI-3DgYDk20rApa_tVQK5HNrMfV9uWqE9FPZXxPPs-fmQO58OFtPi3Y8pfGlfVq2jDGZivgY4wqSYZKyC1DljQiNUg82bIZahheGSxBoZQyYxQ5_qRb7e6asbINSJ7U5oQRYEW9fVhZ-U4g_HnTVAGHfm8v2T7xP_OHLpog9VhlV6xj0-2WsE9qIXSUNr4QPT3Mki6ahR2YF-VM7YUQBzrV8Voaxgp9Mx0uqvznoI3gggrQIvfKw875m0Wqa_pvRbIfE0lILe-n9jnJxJhw5lyNtu49st8aj2MdXGRUNlIqY2yxDvkxh0cvz_M9lAgRem09UHX9NuYRoB9XczTLX9_XKYkjdr8k5yTqs4LEq8IWVGFUbe1kqkcOmk073T6pXKIuOTdD-odfKnh-ssSm16k-23KRGvYiGTp-9REczI9iIt5lyIPVZhj5jUOVJcG6HTLmtCmNcH2jqQwGQ=w1251-h939-no

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

We've got some fairly tricky little areas to 'mesh' and noticed the roofers using EPDM sponge under the ridge as an insect mesh.

This would be ideal for our needs and I've found a supplier who will cut a 2000x1000x50 sheet into 50mm strips so we'll end up with 50x50x2000 strips of the EPDM sponge to squeeze into a 30mm gap and let it expand and do it's job.

Does any one see a fatal flaw in this plan before I go for it?

Here's a small section of the sponge the roofers used (the stuff I'm looking at is flat, not undulating).

IMG_9522.jpeg

• Thanks 1