Heatmiser Touchscreen Controller

newhome

My Touchscreen Controller has had an ongoing fault whereby the display sometimes shows a list of ? symbols and the date and time set back to a date in 2010 (potentially when the thing was commissioned). When that happens the heating comes on at random times. In order to reset it I have to switch the UH1 wiring centre off at the wall and then when I switch it back on it the settings reappear. 

Error view 

141386B4-56DF-4AFE-954A-B0D6CD3DECC6.thumb.jpeg.1d5f3f8c23a4aaf856cb30adfa9fcdb8.jpeg

Normal view 

E82B3434-ED20-42E4-9C7D-0BE0BE7629A9.thumb.jpeg.9dabbe43a59675df96781886bff8476b.jpeg

@PeterW suggested that it could need a new battery so I have changed it. 

The display still sometimes displays incorrectly however so I rang Heatmiser. The guy on the helpline says that the battery only maintains the date and time in the event of a power failure so the change of battery should help with that resetting itself (yet to ascertain if that has been fixed). He couldn’t explain why the controller showed ? symbols periodically but said that it could be due to the incorrect cable being used to connect the thing or if there was some interference somewhere, or possibly a fault with the controller itself. He had me check the network settings that imply that everything looks ok (according to him). 

E1DF969E-127B-445D-BE95-7D3C80988565.thumb.jpeg.78891858996d3dbc2ea2d077014763d3.jpeg

He said that the only way of diagnosing the fault would be to get a sparky in as it might be a fault with the controller itself or elsewhere in the wiring system. 

If I’ve understood him correctly all the controller does is send an update to the room stat if something changes. So if the date or time changes the room stats will be updated to that date and time that can result in the heating coming on at odd times. If the battery change has fixed this then that’s all good. Other than that even if the display shows as ? if nothing has been altered the room stat should maintain its settings as normal because as soon as the display refreshes and shows normally again nothing has altered apart from the date / time (pre battery change). If this is correct and it’s as simple as just switching the thing off and on again I will leave it well alone I think. Have I understood this correctly please? 

It’s hard wired. 

I wonder if the issue is that some of the Cat5 that was used to wire it between the UH1 units runs parallel to the mains cabling which is inducing a fault in the system. 

Not much I can do to sort that without a major rewire.....

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It’s hard wired. 

I wonder if the issue is that some of the Cat5 that was used to wire it between the UH1 units runs parallel to the mains cabling which is inducing a fault in the system. 

Not much I can do to sort that without a major rewire.....

Thanks. I'm not that fussed about it being fixed properly as long as the stat settings are maintained properly TBH. It's the date / time change causing random things to happen to the heating that is more of an issue for me. I don't want it turning on at random times of the day because it thinks the time is different, in particular when I set it to holiday when I will want it switched off for the duration until the day before I return home. I will have to monitor the clock times I guess and assume that if the date and time stay constant then at least that bit is fixed. I also assume that I will need to manually change the clock this weekend ... 

Bite the bullet and get the latest unit, swop for the neoultra  , offers lots of functionality , takes 2 mins to wire in ( uses the same wires) and works on your phone with the neohub. 96 quid cheapest at the mo. Pretty confident it should be a straight swop.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zed said:

Bite the bullet and get the latest unit, swop for the neoultra  , offers lots of functionality , takes 2 mins to wire in ( uses the same wires) and works on your phone with the neohub. 96 quid cheapest at the mo. Pretty confident it should be a straight swop.

@PeterW what say you? 

16 hours ago, lizzie said:

Ive got the. neohub which works on wireless network and wireless room stats which is partly why I asked.  Neohub was a bugger to get up and working properly. but once it got sorted it works well on phone or ipad.

In fairness the touchscreen controller is pretty good when it's working too. I just have to touch the screen to set what I want in any of the zones. It's 8 years old so in fairness it was pretty modern in its day as it is only fairly recently that everything is controlled by an app. The reality is that I don't really change things much either once it's set to the times and temps that I want. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Ap is back up now was an ap issue they have supposedly fixed however it appears to have lost all my settiing and I have to reprogramme and pair all the stats again.....tomorrow is another day it can wait I will use manually for today.

Hmm, I'm thinking my wired system may be preferable now .... 

You may as well wait until tomorrow in case the clock change messes it all up again! :)

• Like 1