Timber windows recommendations please!

Roz

Hi, 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a oak windows and doors company? Plus any rough indications of price per square metre if you have used them. 

We're looking at flush casement with paint on the outside and something like white oiled oak on the inside, but would also consider finishing ourselves if needed. 

Could also be engineered oak. 

We're looking for 3  bifold doors, 2 external doors, 6 casement windows and some bespoke glazing to a first floor apex wall.

I've put some enquiries in with a few companies but was wondering if I was missing any well recommended companies with good value. 

Thanks!

I had oak windows, bifold doors (with compression seals) and front door made by a local company and they are brilliant. Not sure what the price per sq m worked out. Our windows were painted (sprayed) and the doors oiled. We are now waiting for our oak conservatory to be made and installed. I am not a fan of triple glazing because of the weight and bulk, this company have access to a “glazing technician” and got the U value down to within a knats whisker of triple, but using double glazing. Company called “complete joinery and design Ltd.” They are in Bude Cornwall but do work in London so are willing to travel.

3190A141-CF8D-46D8-89F6-58DAB61A2F3F.jpeg

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I had oak windows, bifold doors (with compression seals) and front door made by a local company and they are brilliant. Not sure what the price per sq m worked out. Our windows were painted (sprayed) and the doors oiled. We are now waiting for our oak conservatory to be made and installed. I am not a fan of triple glazing because of the weight and bulk, this company have access to a “glazing technician” and got the U value down to within a knats whisker of triple, but using double glazing. Company called “complete joinery and design Ltd.” They are in Bude Cornwall but do work in London so are willing to travel.

3190A141-CF8D-46D8-89F6-58DAB61A2F3F.jpeg

Thanks Joe, we are in Cornwall too so I will look them up. Do you mind if I ask what the cost was for how many windows? Just want to check they're not totally out of budget. Or if you remember the cost for 1 of the bifolds (what width are they?) that would be interesting.

Hi Roz, nice to know someone else here is down in the South West. I don’t have access to my paperwork at the moment but from (a bad) memory I think they were £23k for 14 windows, insulated front door and both bifolds. This was supply only for windows (I fitted them) but supply and fitting for front door and bifolds. If you want to visit we are near Bude and nearly finished. I do know that complete joinery are very busy (which indicates they are good) so don’t know their lead time.

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Hi Roz, nice to know someone else here is down in the South West. I don’t have access to my paperwork at the moment but from (a bad) memory I think they were £23k for 14 windows, insulated front door and both bifolds. This was supply only for windows (I fitted them) but supply and fitting for front door and bifolds. If you want to visit we are near Bude and nearly finished. I do know that complete joinery are very busy (which indicates they are good) so don’t know their lead time.

Thanks Joe! Did you get many quotes before you picked them? 

Yes I was surprised when you said you were in Cornwall. We are in between Truro and Redruth. I never thought of how annoying being down here can be until we started this, currently looking at getting some SIPs delivered for a garden workshop and the cheapest company is in Manchester area and it's £1000 delivery! But still makes them the cheapest. More so, sadly, than the only Cornwall company I can find. 

If this company look likely from quotes it would be great to come and look at your windows before we decide, thanks so much :)

I got three quotes and although one was a bit cheaper I was not convinced by the quality. Yes, after years of trawling the M5 I find every excuse to not go back to Bristol. Surely a man and van would be cheaper to get those sips?. I just had a tractor delivered from Essex for £400.

Edited by joe90

5 hours ago, joe90 said:

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

I got three quotes and although one was a bit cheaper I was not convinced by the quality. Yes, after years of trawling the M5 I find every excuse to not go back to Bristol. Surely a man and van would be cheaper to get those sips?. I just had a tractor delivered from Essex for £400.

It could be, I was even wondering about hiring vans and going up there. I'll have to look into it once we feel more finalised on the decision! Then I can ask for weights etc .Thanks for your thoughts!

20 hours ago, Triassic said:

I lived close to Manchester and still have a few contacts in the local haulage business, PM me with sizes and weights and I’ll see if i can get you a better deal, £1000 sounds a lot!

Thanks Triassic, I will try to find out!